• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii exhaust manifold or Stahl headers?

Poon

So the '02 is getting full time insurance next week for the first time in 2 years and with the ability to drive it regularly, I expect to follow through on some long put off project. One in particular was exhaust.

From experience what do you guys think of running for exhaust manifolds?

I have both a set of Stahl Headers, as well as a stock Tii Manifold, but I'm not sure which one to put on.

The engine is stock, and I will be putting on a newly acquired 38/38 to replace my stock Solex.

I've heard the Tii manifold produces more torque down low than the stock 2002 exhaust manifold and headers. I've also heard that headers rob you of low end torque, but free up top end power.

What would you guys do? Is there truth to these ^ beliefs?

IMG_5202-1-1.jpg

1976 2002 - Mintgrun

1986 535i - Bronzit

I noticed 0 difference on my stock engine going to a Stahl from a stock mannifold. Throw the Stahl on, it looks cooler and drops the pitch of the exhaust about a note.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

you'll not be pleased OVERAL with the 38/38-

too much carb - it's best for FULL WIDE OPEN

driving, and few know how to jet it for pooking around town,

stop n go everyday idling, real world driving.

Your MPG's willsuck

what ever header you decided - be sure that you

have all the bits for the trans/exhaust support

bracket with proper rubber insulators - otherwise

any exhaust will fall off in short order

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I had a pretty stock '76 car with a 32/36 and a stock (smog) exhaust manifold. I switched from a 32/36 to a 38/38 w/ an upgrade to a Tii exhaust manifold several years ago. I put the 38/38 on right out of the box and didn't have to alter the jetting one bit. Have had the same carb on two different engines now, again with no change in jetting (maybe I'm lucky here, but the point is if the 38/38 is jetted properly, as with the 32/36, it will idle and run just fine). My 38/38 carb has a manual choke and once warmed up properly it idles very nicely when "pooking" around town. It is definitely not "too much carb", imo. Compared to my 32/36, I get noticeably better acceleration when going thru the gears ;o). As for gas mileage, it depends on how I drive...spirited driving = lower MPG. "Pooking" round town and not putting my foot in gas = not a whole lot different than my 32/36. I think the combo of a 38/38 & Tii exhaust manifold makes my car more fun to drive and have no complaints about idle or gas mileage. That's my 02 cents worth.

The older I get the better I was!

Yeah, I am aware that the 32/36 gives the M10 a smoother power curve than the 38/38 but I prefer the top end pull of the 38. I'm not too bothered about fuel consumption either, because I daily driver an E28 and with a heavy foot I'm average about 16.5L/100K in the city.

I guess no one has done some dyno tests with various exhaust manifolds? I might have to do that before I swap the stock manifold out.

IMG_5202-1-1.jpg

1976 2002 - Mintgrun

1986 535i - Bronzit

I think he flow benched a stock emissions manifold and a Tii manifold and they were pretty close in flow?

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

you'll not be pleased OVERAL with the 38/38-

too much carb - it's best for FULL WIDE OPEN

driving, and few know how to jet it for pooking around town,

stop n go everyday idling, real world driving.

Your MPG's willsuck

what ever header you decided - be sure that you

have all the bits for the trans/exhaust support

bracket with proper rubber insulators - otherwise

any exhaust will fall off in short order

Why does the 38/38 get such a bad rap? I run one with great results. Jetting pre script is easy to come by and you get great performance with no around town badness at least for me. Yes the mpg isn't as good as a 32/36 but not that much worse. Any ways just sticking up for the poor defenseless 38/38 carb. Also no one bags on people running dual 40's or 45's for poor fuel economy and low speed performance. They are cars for fun right? I say burn as much fuel as you can it's a short life. Pretty soon we will all be required to drive Prius'

Old enough to know better, young enough to do it again.

I think that generally speaking CD is correct and the wife has been after me to put the 32/36 back on she agrees with CD that the 38/38 is to much.

I have a 38/38 on my car which was jetted by Ireland and informed them it was not a race car but for weekend pleasure driving installed 4 years ago with a huge racing Stahl header and I'm just getting the thing to run right. Granted I didn't really care about MPG but my MPG did suck. I tinkered with the air fuel mixture to finally settle it down. I don't really know what MPG I'm getting but it's better than before in the city stop and go.

To make a long story short, if it's a daily driver and MPG is a concern stick with the 32/36; however if that is not a concern the 38/38 is a hell of a lot of fun.

I got some Weber Italian 40's hid in the garage LOL; if she only knew and probably will once she reads this; one day.

If you are going the mod route, then a 38/38 with headers and anything above stage 1 will yield good results. Not sure if you are working towards a performance goal...

Another thing to consider is sound.

I have owned/run both Tii manifolds and stahl headers. I like the deeper quieter tone of the Tii manifold. The Stahl is a bit louder and more shallow.

Just food for thought.