HarryPR

Recommended fuel pump and fuel pressure for Weber 40s?

24 posts / 2874 viewsLast Reply

Trying to help out a local friend who is about to install two Weber 40's in his '73 2002.

What fuel pump and regulator do you guys find out to be the best based on your experiences? Also, what is the recommended fuel pressure for dual 40's?

TIA,

Guest Anonymous

many autopart stores sell a generic replacement that self regulates at 4-5psi. that'll work

3-5psi, plenty of generic electric pumps out there , dont forget to circuit in a cut out on non start but ignition still on .

3-5psi, plenty of generic electric pumps out there , dont forget to circuit in a cut out on non start but ignition still on .

Harry,

I have been running the Carter P4070 for years, first with my Weber 40/40 DFAV and now with the Mikuni 44PHH dual sidedrafts. The pump works great.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800es

Harry,

no need to carried away. the stock mechanical pump is just fine. you may have a clearance issue depending on the intake manifolds selected, but the stock pump puts out plenty of fuel.

you can avoid the clearance issue by getting the shorter pump rod and filing the pump spacer block down to about 7 or 8 mm thick. then the pump sits tighter tot he head and will not pump the webers. this is what is running on my '70 with the dual webers.

note that the stock ti with dual solexes runs the stock pump, and i ran my ti for decades on the webers with the stock pump with no issue.

why bother wiring up a noisy electric pump? why make things more complicaed than they need to be?

just my $0.02 worth...

Jon

Harry,

no need to carried away. the stock mechanical pump is just fine. you may have a clearance issue depending on the intake manifolds selected, but the stock pump puts out plenty of fuel.

note that the stock ti with dual solexes runs the stock pump, and i ran my ti for decades on the webers with the stock pump with no issue.

why bother wiring up a noisy electric pump? why make things more complicaed than they need to be?

just my $0.02 worth...

Jon

+1 I think stock mechanical pumps have gotten a bad reputation over the years (misunderstood perhaps or just inferior quality replacement junk?).

Great info.

I've never had side drafts, but the mechanical pump on the '02 I sold last year was/is 25 years old and still working like a champ. I think the new owner is installing some Webers on it until he can get an S14 for it.

I've always liked the big six mechanical fuel pumps on heads that still have a boss for them.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,294242

For cars that have heads that lack the mounting for mechanical pumps I use this Pierburg electric one, nice and quiet...

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,307681