• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions for the purists

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Would repairing a floor pan with a regular metal sheet without the form of the replacement floorpan change the value of the car?

Guest Anonymous

Yes (it would for me anyway). If I were looking at two similar cars that had that repair one as you suggest with plain sheet metal and the other with an OE patch panel.....car with OE patch panel. Just me though.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

You answered yourself in your question when you mentioned "value of the car".

As for the value, that is really subjective. The hierarcy is usually Turbos, cabrios, tii's, very early cars, roundies, then squaries.

If I had a super rare car, I would spend the extra and get the correct parts and have the work done properly. My tii is not super rare and holds more value for me than for others. It's not super clean and has high miles. That said, I would still spend a little more to fix something like a floorpan. If the cost was sky high, I would look for a donor car to get the part.

If this was on my old blue beater (1971), I would have fixed it with a sheet of aluminum, pop rivets, and silicone. (I probably did)

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Of course a car with all original or stock-looking bits is gonna be worth more to collectors. The question is what are you looking for from your 2002? Mine is an old rusted-out beater that was badly neglected before I got her; it's not worth it, profit-and-loss-wise, to go through and repair my floorboards 'properly'- it would be more cost-effective to buy an un-rusted car. And I don't have that kind of cash. So I'm patching up the holes with old license plates and roofing tar. She still drives like all get-out.

But if she was a rarer example of the form, or if money wasn't an option, I'd go for the proper fix. Doing things the right way is always... well, the right way to do things.

I've heard that you can fix your rusty floor with an old road sign, a bunch of rivets and some epoxy.

:)

71, flat black

Beat to fit, paint to match.

Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

"Some people spend a lifetime wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem" - Ronald Reagan

you bet.

71, flat black

Beat to fit, paint to match.

Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

"Some people spend a lifetime wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem" - Ronald Reagan