• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions for those running a oil cooler

ifayeoh

How cool is the oil? basically what is the temp of oil and where are you measuring the temp at? thanks

i have seen or what looks like a oil cooler on a range rover and looks like it could easily be added to my car.

Frank

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD

Frank,

Oil temp shoud not be much below 180F or it will have moisture from combstion build up and not leave the crankcase..

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

On the race car I have a Mocal 19-row 235 matrix with AN-10 lines. Temperature sender is part of my oil pan plug. Agree with not running oil too cold. I am typically at 180-190F on the track, with water about the same. This is with power band from 4500-7000 rpm. I take the cooler out in Spring and Fall or oil temp way too low. On the hottest days (100+) I could see 205-210 oil temp on the track. Never want to see above this on my engine. Heads tend to warp when water temp hits 225F, ask me how I know. With my big Ron Davis radiator water temp is 200-205 max on hottest days.

Fred '74tii

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

I like to see my oil a bit over the water.

On the street car, 200 is fine.

On the race car, 220's about as high as I let

it go before I take some tape off the cooler.

+1 on the thermostat- a street- driven car hardly needs

a cooler. Usually not until you do an 80+mph run on an

80+ degree day.

And synthetic oils let you run hotter- 240 won't hurt synthetic...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks for the input, i wont be getting a cooler. My car actually barely gets in the 160 range measured in the drain plug, and is water temp when reading at the filter housing.

Frank

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD