• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can not shift into 2nd or 4th gears.

savvy

Car had been sitting for 26 years.

All hydraulic hoses are new from Blunt Tech.

Clutch Master Cylinder has been rebuilt.

New ATE Slave Cylinder.

Hydraulic fluid replaced, bled and clutch pedal firm (however, brakes are still soft).

Car goes in reverse fine.

Car goes into first fine.

Car goes into third, but haven't been able to get the car at speed greater than 20 mph due to rough engine and short test area.

Can not get into 2nd or 4th.

Any ideas

1966 1600 4 dr.

Thanks.

Cheers!

Cheers!

Savvy

'65 BMW 1600 4dr-not quite road worthy, but closer

'34 Ford Fordor Deluxe Sedan-currently being rehabbed

'03 Acura TL

'92 Toyota Land Cruiser

If you can get into Rev, 1st and 3rd (top of the shift pattern) and not into 2nd and 4th (bottom of the pattern), that would lead me to believe that you have a problem with your gearshift linkage. Have you checked the hardware and adjustments?

Cheers

Edward

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit * 06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd * 73 Mustang Convertible 351C * 11 Aston Martin Rapide V12 * 15 VW Touareg * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

If you can get into Rev, 1st and 3rd (top of the shift pattern) and not into 2nd and 4th (bottom of the pattern), that would lead me to believe that you have a problem with your gearshift linkage. Have you checked the hardware and adjustments?

Cheers

Edward

I'm with Edward on this one.

I would first look at the tranny mounts and even the motor mounts which both can cause a drivertrain to move excessively. Check the shift platform mounting blocks, the bushing between the shift rod and the bottom of the lever and look for foreign objects obstructing the throw of the shift lever. The foam padding could be such an item. Of if the car has been sitting for 26 years... maybe a nest?

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

others--I'd highly suspect either the shift linkage, the metalastic mounts that hold the shift platform on the tranny, and also the rear tranny mount. All those rubber mounts turn into black goo from age, heat and oil soaking.

Change 'em all and see what happens. And yes, you can change the shift mount blocks without removing either the driveshaft or exhaust. Ain't easy but do-able.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Guys, Savvy's transmission is not the later NK/02 "shortneck" style but the earlier NK "longneck" 4speed.... The shift linkage is internal. Here's the diagram showing the difference....

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=3111&mospid=48001&btnr=23_0790&hg=23&fg=05

If the engine and trans mounts are good I'd suspect that there may be some internal shift detent gummed up by old crud/gear oil. Have you changed it yet? I'd run the car in neutral for a while, or even drive it to get that gear oil warm and flowing and see if the internals of the trans free up. If not, it's either time to find someone that still remembers how to open those up to investigate... I know of a few people in NorCal that might still have the knowledge rolling around in their heads... and still be willing to take the project on. Or bite the bullet and swap in an '02 4spd or 320i 5spd.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Thanks guys.

Yes, put about half the gallon (36 pumps of the plunger, plunger claims 1 ounce per pump) of SWEPCO in after draining (pretty clean oil came out).

Need to check the mounts.

Cheers!

Savvy

'03 Acura TL

'92 Toyota Land Cruiser

+1

I was having shifting problems for reverse and 1st and it turned out to be the shift tower/linkage. All it needed was to be repositioned and re-tightened.

I'm very much hoping that adjusting and tightening is all it is......

I could use a "easy fix" now.

The odds sure are in my favor....

Horn didn't work....had to take it apart, clean it, adjust it...works fine.

Fuel Sender no work....take it apart, clean it, replace resistance wires by first finding the right gauge wire, then soldering it up.....works fine.

Brakes....still an issue

Half shafts.... remove, disassemble, replace boots.

Engine.....?

I'm due something simple.

Cheers!!

Cheers!

Savvy

'03 Acura TL

'92 Toyota Land Cruiser

I'm remembering a similar transmission in a rather famous CSL where it wouldn't go into certain gears.... the lever was installed in the trans backwards.................

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

I'm remembering a similar transmission in a rather famous CSL where it wouldn't go into certain gears.... the lever was installed in the trans backwards.................

LOL - that is a good one. SOT... back in the early '80's, my dad purchased a new lawnmower from the local Hechinger Store (precursor to Home Depot and Lowe's). We brought it home (in box), assembled it at dusk, added gas and oil and tried to get it running. No way, no how. We hauled it back to the store in the station wagon and my dad fumed about the crappy mower. Inside the store, we immediately noticed the spark plug wire wasn't connected - yes it started on the first pull. Talk about egg on face.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I CAN SHIFT!!!!

I removed the shift lever, cleaned out all the crud and shot WD40 all around.

Now it shifts into all gears.

The interior boot is in pretty good condition.

The foam is in fair.

The internal small boot is shot.

There is a lot of play where the shift lever pins into the tower and where the ball end goes into the linkage rod.

Should there be rubber bushing in those areas?

From RealOEM it looks like it but I'm not sure.

Cheers!

Savvy

'03 Acura TL

'92 Toyota Land Cruiser