• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nardi trim ring & horn button hate each other, why?

I've been fiddling with this Nardi horn button forever, but for some reason it only fits when there is NO trim ring over the bolts. From what I've observed, the horn button snaps into the contact ring that you put under the steering wheel, but once I put the trim ring on it wont even go deep enough past the steering wheel.

This leaves me with 2 options:

1. My horn button is too shallow, maybe there are deeper ones and I have the wrong one?

2. Ditch the trim ring, get some chrome nuts for the wheel and settle with a sportier look (I really like the trim ring though).

Anybody else experience this?

Hassan

1972 2002 Malaga (soon to be Verona) daily driver/project.

Just to make sure you are intalling the horn button first and then the trim ring. I always thought this was a pain because I would have to install the wheel and hub in the car and then remove the wheel to install the horn button.

Mark

Just to make sure you are intalling the horn button first and then the trim ring. I always thought this was a pain because I would have to install the wheel and hub in the car and then remove the wheel to install the horn button.

Mark

Wait, isn't the horn button supposed to go on top of the trim ring, thus holding it into place? Can anyone confirm?

H

1972 2002 Malaga (soon to be Verona) daily driver/project.

Mark

Wait, isn't the horn button supposed to go on top of the trim ring, thus holding it into place? Can anyone confirm?

H

The trim ring goes on first, then horn button. Takes many tries and a lot of patience to get that horn button on.

Both of your wheels maybe different from mine. The trim ring on my wheel is held in place by the allan screws that hold the wheel onto the hub. On my wheel the trim ring installs after the horn button. The horn button I have is to big to pass through the hole in the trim ring and there is a bevel cut in the back side of the trim ring the horn button fits into perfectly.

Mark

post-3926-1366764427608_thumb.jpg

I can't tell you I know the "correct" order, but on my wheel (wood rim, wheel bolts to adaptor, trim ring covers bolt heads) the horn button was installed on top when I first got it, I believe this was done to secure the trim ring in place. In order to get the horn working correctly, I reversed the order, with trim on top. However, the trim did not want to stay in place, two of the bolts have a rubber cap to engage the trim ring, but it is not enough to hold it on. I used a little silicone sealer to fasten it in place. I think it looks best with the button recessed under the trim.

2003 GMC Sierra Stuff Hauler

2000 Honda Odyssey Family Hauler

1992 Mazda Miata Wife's Grocery Getter

1988 Honda NT650 Hawk GT Dust Collector

1973 BMW 2002 Sunny Day Driver

1991 318iC Daughter's ride

I put the horn button on top of the trim ring on my nardi. Just make sure the ring is as far down as possible, hard to do if all the screws have the plastic fittings on them. Took me a a good hour of frustration to make everything fit nicely.

73 02

67 SX200

64 TV200

61 TV175