• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got 28.5 mpg freeway today

not bad! you could add 3 more mpg by taking out that tii engine and putting an s14 in...;-)

it is pretty amazing what 2002's do for mpg. my e36 m3 does 31mpg highway, same as my e46 325, same as my m2, same as jimg's 2002tii. mpg stays the same through generations of cars (but the new ones are massively heavier and have more hp)

2xM3

Averaged a little over 29 on my 1,934 mile round trip to The Vintage and back. First time keeping track. It was not all highway, and that includes foot to the floor back road flogging fun.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Wow thats some great mileage. I have no Idea what I am averaging, I have only put maybe $30 in gas in it in the last month and I still have a half tank. I have been driving it pretty frequently but the M42 is super efficient if nothing else. The gear ratio couldn't be better for economy either. The m42 is supposed to be backed with a 4.10 rear end and I know my ratio is not that high. Anyone know what the stock rear end ratio for a '76 automatic?

a stock automatic must have a 3.64, but since there is some sliping factor (no lock-up in the TC) it behaves mostly like a 3.7 or 3.8 i would say.

cant wait to see how the 4HP22 will do, with a very low overdrive ratio and some antique lock-up feature into the TC.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

I think '76's may have gotten the 3.90 from the factory, right?

Cheers,

Ray

a stock automatic must have a 3.64, but since there is some sliping factor (no lock-up in the TC) it behaves mostly like a 3.7 or 3.8 i would say.

cant wait to see how the 4HP22 will do, with a very low overdrive ratio and some antique lock-up feature into the TC.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Cheers,

Ray

maybe, but manual only iirc, the automatic would have not be very usefull with a 3.90, and the sliping factor. almost a 4.10 then, but who knows. never found anything to would prove this.

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp

The numbers on the back of the speedo might point towards the answer.

Cheers,

Ray

Cheers,

Ray

maybe, but manual only iirc, the automatic would have not be very usefull with a 3.90, and the sliping factor. almost a 4.10 then, but who knows. never found anything to would prove this.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

The numbers on the back of the speedo might point towards the answer.

Cheers,

Ray

Cheers,

Ray

i dont have a 76' Automatic in my back yard.

1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp

4000 rpms on a one barrel 1600 is not good ! I burned some gas going to the NL 02 meet and on a low 70 degree day that temp did climb if I pushed her over 4100 rpms A 5 speed or town trips when she gets back to the Black Hills if I don't put the m42 out of my 93 in it. 410 gears in one 345 L/S in the other touring

3421912 ask john

Red Baron a 74 sedanw/ dual webers ,spring,steins,bars. body shop for a full make over

Red Baroness a 71 1600 touring new to me and on the street in Limburg

Old Reliable a 93 318 m42's are soooo cool