• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

205/60/13 race tires on 5.5" rims?

I'm vintage racing a 2002 and have been running 185/60/13 Toyo RA1's on 5.5" wheels. I want to increase tire size to 205/60/13 but as the rim width specified is a range from 5.5" to 7" am wondering if it is wise to risk the minimum on a race or track car application. Has anyone had experience running 205/60/13 race tires on a 5.5" rim? Your advice would be appreciated.

Guest Anonymous

I would talk to a tire "expert", I think it can be done but I don't believe that is the optimal size rim for that size tire. Once upon a time I had a set of 6x13 and 6.5 x 13 ALPINA's (one piece) ran 205/60-13 Pirelli P6's on them, worked quite nicely. Lots of quality tire folks, however one of the best in my opinion is Roger Kraus Racing (San Leandro, CA). They supply a lot of the major race events here on the west coast, but also do street tires and suspension as well. Google their name and give them a call, they will give you good information (and free as well, free is always good). Good luck.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

It'll work, albeit not optimum.

It is not inherently unsafe or anything, it just kinda pinches the tire a bit.

I used to run 205/60s A008s on 13x5s for practice days & street driving, it worked fine.

That said, if you CAN run a 7" wheel, GET SOME. Wider wheels are almost always better. I ran 13x7s for a long time, with 225/50-13 Hoosiers or 215/50-13 R1s; when I switched to 13x9s, the car _instantly_ went considerably faster (same tires, took them off the 7s, put them on the 9s, bam, instantly faster - ~1s/lap? Forget, but it was significant).

A 205 on a 5.5" wheel will work, although it might not be any faster than a 185 on a 5.5.

205 on a 7? Faster. Absolutely.

Iain

Yes, you can do it.

I found that you really wanted a LOT of camber to make it work

(-5 degrees or so).

I raced on 6" rims for years.

Then when I went to 7 with the same size tires, I dropped back to

about -3.5 degrees, braking got better, and lap times went down.

If you can find 13x7, I completely agree, that'll work better.

But if you have to use 5.5's, you can set the car up to work pretty well.

Tire wear will be less optimum...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I'm running some 205/60's on early factory alloys....while I love the look the "feel" is less than optimum IMO.....way too soft mushy feeling....just too much tire for narrow rims...I'd say go at least 6" rim width.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"