• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So how do I know which oil dipstick I need

So the motor in my 74 has a very loose fitting dipstick. I do not know if it is even the correct one. So I went to order and there are 2 types. One with an oring and one without. So how can I determine which one I need? The block in my car has the VIN ground off so most likely a factory rebuild at some point so I do not know what year it is

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

given your background (the cars) order both

no telling what tube? or block? you have?,

or even if you have the correct m10 tube?

order both, drain the oil, replace the filter,

refill with 4.5 quarts - and then look at the stick and it

should read full - after starting and warming up,

and shutting it off and letting it sit for 5-min.s

that is your your full mark - to double check the stick you've choosen.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

CD (or anyone), will the larger diameter tube fit an engine that originally had a small diameter tube. I have a new dipstick, but the rubber seal is too large for my '73 2002's dipstick tube. The length of the new dipstick is fine.

CD (or anyone), will the larger diameter tube fit an engine that originally had a small diameter tube. I have a new dipstick, but the rubber seal is too large for my '73 2002's dipstick tube. The length of the new dipstick is fine.

Funny you mention that. I ordered a new dipstick when I put the motor in. Same issue you have, grommet on dipstick is too large for the tube so I shaved it down with a blade to make it fit snug. I may just order new dipsticks and tubes and hope for the best, sell the one I don't need on FAQ

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

fwiw, i just went through this. my 71 block has a dipstick tube that presses into the block, although i've seen early blocks that have the tube bolted to the block. the early tubes are around 12mm dia.

my other engine is a later m10 that has a 2 piece dipstick tube held together by a samll hose and two hose clamps. the bottom piece of the tube is press fit into the block like my early one. the big difference is this setup is 15mm in diameter. there is a specific dipstick for each setup.

bob

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3