• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mirror blasphemy and other questions

worzella

My new headliner is in and I have not punched a hole yet for my rear view mirror. Since the mirror itself is pretty bad, I was wondering how many people have ever decided to NOT use the original mirror and instead chose to use a "stick-on" mirror that mounts on the windshield?

$20 at any auto parts store!

From a safety POV, a new mirror would be best, but from a restoration POV, is this heresy? I know you'd see the clip from the front windshield view, but that might not be too bad.

And moving on to side view mirrors. The one I have is not bad, body wise, but the mirror itself is very discolored/corroded and the seal around it is shot. Is there any place known that can take a 2002 side mirror and replace the glass and seal. I want to pursue that before ordering a new one.. $130 is not that bad in the grand scheme of things, but....

Thanks,

Randy

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

I don't see a problem with doing what you are talking about - it's your car.

If you want an upgrade, however, install an E21 mirror. It's a bit bigger, and looks factory. The only thing I had to do was grind a 1/2" wide by 1/8" deep groove on it to fit around the windshield seal.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

One thing about the stick on rear view mirror is that it may stick to far out for your comfort. I don't know what it is like in a 2002, because this was before I got mine, but when I tried to replace one on a Porsche 944, it didn't feel right. It was too close to my face. But I'm sure that you can return it if that is the case with the 2002.

How about a period-correct Wink mirror? Still have to drill a couple small holes though... and they still make them. I think they only come in black though... Here's mine, can't beat the visibility!

post-502-13667643660817_thumb.jpg

Aaron

Walter: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. I'll get you a toe by this afternoon--with nail polish...