• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is cam swap possible with engine in the car & head on ?

I am about to put in a 292 regrind & wondered if it is physically possible to do in the car, rad /grill removed , or is the core support & ?? in the way?. I just recently changed my head gasket & trying not to do it again .

Any input from those more versed in 2002's than me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

Guest Anonymous

Pretty sure that you need to pull the head (core support in the way). That is my recollection from some time ago - some race cars can get away with it I believe where the bulkhead has been removed (and just the shell of the nose remains.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

if you are going to do it yourself, and never have, and don't have "the right tool", I'd pull the head and give it to a shop who can save you a lot of time and aggravation. If you have done it before and know exactly what to do, and are just asking about the space available w. head on, disregard this note.

Scott

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Guest Anonymous
Pretty sure that you need to pull the head (core support in the way). That is my recollection from some time ago - some race cars can get away with it I believe where the bulkhead has been removed (and just the shell of the nose remains.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

If you remove the radiator, the cam can come out through the nose.

You'll need a cam removal tool. 2002haus sells them. You'll also need new upper front cover seals and some intellect in setting the timing again.

You'll need to rotate the motor 90 degrees before TDC. Remove distributor. Remove upper front cover. Install Cam tool. Remove timing gear and cam retaining plate. Ziptie chain to gear. Don't let chain get slack on the crank gear. Remove cam. Install new cam at TDC. Now carefully rotate the motor forwards to TDC. Reset timing components. Now rotate the motor twice by hand. Pull upto TDC and recheck your marks. It's not uncommon for when you take the cam gear off and ziptie the chain for the chain to bunch at the crank and skip a tooth. Reassemble. Enjoy

We did this a few weeks back.

Yes.

But it's easier to do it by removing the head.

And.

Unless you know that your rocker lash pads are like new,

it makes good sense to change the rockers to match the cam.

And no, you can't change an M10 rocker without pulling the head bolts.

Da

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks for all the great tips, I'll make a judgment call when I get the cam.

All the insight is much appreciated .

Steve

1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

for the shadetree nut twister ? NO

for a professional with the proper tools = possibly -

but -no- is the correct answer

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

• 2 weeks later...

Piece of cake :) Drained & removed radiator & passenger side grill,cam out & new one in 2hrs flat. The advice from Oldguy1 was invaluable & worked like a charm, I made my own cam tool from a $5 piece of angle iron.did the swap, 2 revolutions & timed dead on. I used fluorescent nail polish to mark everything , marked the chain & removed the gear to remove the cam. Re-assy as Oldguy1 had said. The reason I didn't want to remove the head was I'd just re done a new head gasket about 2 months ago & having just fitted the Dellortos & Ireland header in the last 3 evenings I was ready to cut some corners. Sunday I'm off to Willow Springs for a test day :) I have to go home & help the wife bath our Bulldog !! tomorrow is set valves , covers on grill & radiator back in, job done. I like these 2002's :)

Thanks all for the advise.

Steve

IMG_4262.jpg

IMG_4264.jpg

Cheers I'll be tidying up tomorrow oil on the floor from the timing chain tensioner. I'm new to all this but I do build cars for a living mainly Hemi's , flathead Fords & SBC's , these BMW engines are brilliant & only half the pistons LOL. Common sense & tutoring on here is a must.

here is the tool , 1 1/2 angle is all I could get I trimmed the verticals 1/2" so the cam cover studs came through the holes. a bit crude but as always on my own stuff , in a hurry :) I put my angles 90degrees to the rocker, the one I saw on line was parallel , no idea which is better but mine worked like a charm. I did lever each rocker gently after engine set at 90 degrees BTDC to make sure the valves cleared the pistons. Per the hint above.It would have had better holes had I used a gasket to mark all the cam cover holes on the angle , a little tweek on the mill & some washers fixed it.

IMG_4267.jpg

IMG_4266.jpg

IMG_4265.jpg

no marks, it's just compressing the valve springs so not a huge amount of pressure required.