• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shift selector to shift rod arm bushings.. do they exist?

Ok. Cool. There were a couple in there when I tore my 4 speed down. Looking to tighten that portion up.

Any idea why the side to side play when the 5 speed is in gear is about as big as when it's in neutral?? It shifts fine, and the play doesn't effect performance, but it's there.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

You should check the clearance between the "c" clip and the shifter itself. I added some nylon washers to my car (from Home Depot). Delrin bushings are the best for this application.

There should be a simple cushion (foam piece) inside the tranny shifter coupling that helps prevent the shifter from rattling and firms up the shifter a bit.

When installing the shifter (before connecting the tranny), pull UP on the shifter from inside the car to see if you have any play in the (2) cupped pieces and the retainer ring of the shift tower. I cut one of the left over washers from an old shifter and added it below the retainer ring to firm it up.

Every bit of slop you can eliminate will help the shifting action.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

As already mentioned the shift rod joint is often times the

weak link with a loose or sloppy shift feel.

If the bushing (#3) is worn that is one symptom, as well

as the foam bushing that tightens up the shift rod

joint to the trans. shift shaft.

Although it says it is ended, the new part is available

using an E21 reference.

I have also seen homemade bronze bushings substituted at the

bottom of the shift lever due to the fact that the plastich bushing once worn is not available seperately. HTH

Parts inquiries: 2002haussales@gmail.com FAQ Supporting Vendor  www.2002haus.com www.bmw2002registry.com  Free Your Mind - Remove the Chains and Think 

BMP used to advertise replacement bronze bushes for the bottom of the shift lever.

+1, don't know if they still do...

Metric Mechanic also sold these bronze bushings.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20