• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Center Console connections

MrSharky

Okay -

So where does the center console actually attach to the car? I pulled it out a few weeks ago, and when I pulled it out, I realized that it wasn't attached very well.

I've got one screw that goes into the tunnel, but that's about it. It looks like the ash tray drawer should screw into the bottom of the dash, but I don't see holes in the dash for that, and didn't have to take them out when I removed it. Then there's one more place on the back of the console - the brace that goes from side to side - that looks like it should connect to the car, but again, no place to connect it to the car.

I just took a look again in the car, and there are two places that appear to be connection points - they have the u-bolts for a screw, but I don't see how they'd align to anything I have on my console.

This console was definitely modified by a previous owner, so there could be parts missing. I'm thinking I can fabricate something using plumbers straps, but kinda wondering how it's really supposed to work.

Thanks,

Matt

I needed a car, and a hobby....

Nor'East '02ers-

www.bmw2002.us

Betty VIN 4229155

The original colour was Malaga, paint code 021

SiteNamecopy.jpg

There is also a small "L" bracket that attaches to the top right rear of the console and then to the underside of the dash (PN 51161808634). That, with the screw at the bottom, stabilizes the console. But the "wedgie" fit is key.

Rob S
'69 2002; '04 330i ZHP; 2018 X1; 2014 535i; 2017 340i

My console was apart and yes it wedged in with a tunnel screw and a bracket in the back I believe. I had four plastic pieces internal for the speaker grille and radio that were broken, so the radio wouldn't mount. I fabricated a frame of oak. The one piece you see, but there are two vertical on the inside holding and supporting the radio.

I am quite pleased how it turned out...solid really. The stained oak closely matched the veneer around the instrument panel as well!

post-18256-1366764326432_thumb.jpg

post-18256-13667643265031_thumb.jpg

76 Malaga #2391789 (Sun, Auto, 43K) - "Lulu"

My console was apart and yes it wedged in with a tunnel screw and a bracket in the back I believe. I had four plastic pieces internal for the speaker grille and radio that were broken, so the radio wouldn't mount. I fabricated a frame of oak. The one piece you see, but there are two vertical on the inside holding and supporting the radio.

I am quite pleased how it turned out...solid really. The stained oak closely matched the veneer around the instrument panel as well!

Hey this is my car !!! exactly the same !!! except i have the raised shifter (about 1" higher than yours on the black base)

i had a lot of troubles too when i rebuilded that. It ended up nice and very solid.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel