• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

emissions AHHHHH!

pinkey

I finally took my '02 in for safety and emissions and it failed horribly. I have changed the plugs, cleaned the points and done the timing with a timing light. I also ran a fuel additive through made by CDC that is designed to help with emissions. any other tips or tricks to get it to pass? (I have heard that if you add a bunch of HEET to your gas "which is basically rubbing alcohol" it will pass) but I don't want to hurt my engine. any advice would be great thanks!

post-16428-13667643233161_thumb.jpg

post-16428-13667643233395_thumb.jpg

Driving a vintage car always makes traveling an adventure.

Make sure it's tuned spot on for the purpose of the test. Also if possible go for a spirited highway drive right prior to the test to make sure it's not in warm up phase...

Tough call tho! Is it running well? Decent gas mileage, not rich at all?

~Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

is it just an IDLE test ?

or run through a cycle on a DYNO ?

what carb's? tii? got any air pump/EGR stuff still installed?

what did you set the timing to?

jets? float levels?

how old is the motor oil - it will cause bad readings

if gas fouled

where does the cam cover vent go to ?

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I am so dadgum glad I live in NC. We stopped the tail pipe "sniffer" emissions testing several years ago. And now I don't have to worry about inspections at all because any vehicle registered in this state that is 35 years old, or older, is exempted from any inspections whatsoever.

The older I get the better I was!