• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clutch problem???

UROTRSH

So here's what happened. I took off from a set of lights, went into 2nd then when I tried to go to 3rd it wouldn't go in. No grinding noise just felt like something was blocking me from changing gear. Tried to drop it back into 2nd and got the same thing. Luckily for me I managed to coast of the road and into a parking lot. With the engine running I can't get into anything except for reverse which feels like I'm trying to go into it without the clutch engaged. When the engine isn't running I can go from gear to gear no problem but when its running no joy.

Hope this is enough information for someone to give me an idea. I didn't flush the transmission but I tried putting some more oil in it and still no good.

Haven't had any problems with the clutch until now. Hopefully I don't have to pull the transmission but I'm already thinking that'll be the case

p.s already changed the master clutch cylinder about 2,000 miles ago and checked for movement when the pedal is pressed and it moves freely. I didn't change the slave cylinder which I now know is a big no no. Is there a chance the slave cylinder isn't engaging the clutch enough?? I'd think I would hear some kind of grinding if that was the case but instead its like

i'm hitting a brick wall when I try and shift

Thanks in advance for any advice

Steven

'71 2002

'75 2002

try flushing - bleeding with a pressue bleeder

pray

pull the slave cylinder boot back and look for fluid leak

pray

get under the car and LOOK!

suck it up.

p.s.

what's the condition of the shifter platform ?

have'nt looked at it ?

you know the drill..... . . . . . . . . .

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Thanks C.D unfortunately the master and slave cylinders are good as is the shifter platform. I have definitely had left right play in the shifter for some time though if that means anything other than worn shifter bushings.

The transmission has been leaking from the back for a while now and I'm hazarding a guess that my procrastination on taking care of it is whats going to cost me(time more than money fortunately).

When my girlfriend came to pick me up earlier I had her press the pedal while I watched for movement at the slave cylinder. When she pressed the pedal I heard what sounded like something small and metal drop around the transmission. I couldn't find anything and on further thought I believe whatever it was was inside the transmission.

I have a spare transmission from my parts car that I can swap out although I have no way of knowing how many miles are on it.

Thanks for your input on this. Very much appreciated

'71 2002

'75 2002

Assuming the slave cyl is moving, I'd say the pressure plate has failed.

The slave is most definitely moving. The question now I suppose is wether or not to go ahead and do the 5-speed conversion seeing as I'll have it broken down to that point. Its my daily driver and I'm on the highway often enough that it is justified.

I know how several folks on here feel about any sort of dare I say "upgrades" so I'll expect an earful about doing it.

Like I already said too, I have a spare 4-speed so the easiest and most cost efficient would be switching them out til I have time to take it off the road the conversion.

Thanks for the pressure plate idea. I'll do my homework on here and see what I find about that

'71 2002

'75 2002

If it's the PP, swapping the gearbox will have no effect.

The 5 spd. was offered on the '02, just rare.

So far as I'm concerned, no sacrilege here.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

driving, the overdrive 5 speed is definitely the way to go. 74 mph goes from 4000 rpm to 3200--a big difference. I've put 26k miles on my '73 since I installed the 5 speed and just love it.

That being said....just because the slave cylinder is moving the pushrod doesn't mean it's moving it enough to disengage the clutch....and the "loose piece" that you hear might be the pivot point that the throwout bearing shaft pivots on; they can break too.

And if your shifter platform mounts and/or shifter linkage has some pieces wear badly and/or fall out, you won't be able to select a gear--but the shifter will feel really loose and wobbley...

Hope it's something easy like a slave cyl (always replace M/C and slave in pairs) and not the tranny...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks for that! There is most definitely considerable play in the shifter itself. I tightened up the platform when I first bought the car because there was significant up down play in it. I rebuild my pedal box a few months ago and took the cheap road by not installing the slave at the same time because the slave looked good(hopefully lesson learned here on that). I've definitely spent more hours under my car than in it since I bought it roughly a year ago. (not complaining because that's half the enjoyment for me).

The shifter has definitely seen better days so I'll have a better look at it later today and report my findings.

It's a tough choice financially on wether to spend cash getting what I have running or just apply that money to a 5-speed. I'd hate to buy a shifter rebuild kit and slave cylinder only to find that the clutch is shot and have to drop more money on my my 4-speed

Thanks for the tip here. It could most definitely be shifter related

Steven

'71 2002

'75 2002

Well it turned out to be the clutch after all. One of the springs broke free from the disc. Once I had everything out I decided after going to all the trouble of removing the transmission I'd be a fool not to do the 5-speed. A friend hooked me up with a 245 for a decent price and driveline services here in Atlanta have my driveshaft for rebuild and shortening.

Thank you all for your input on this matter.

On a side note from the conversion, whats anybodies opinion on the sach's clutch kit vs one of these

http://www.specclutchsuperstore.com/2002-19721974-stage-clutch-p-15381.html

Thanks again

Steven

'71 2002

'75 2002

I've never had a problem with the stock clutch slipping.

I HAVE had pressure plates come apart, but that's a strap issue...

the friction surface isn't all that well- retained in the 215mm clutch.

It's much better designed for the 228.

So I'd use Sachs stuff... but Spec also has a good name, too.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks Toby, Sach's it is then. I've been reading about people using e30 m3 discs and from what I've read these are a little beefier but I don't think I need anything extra right now.

Thanks again

Steven

'71 2002

'75 2002