• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Vintage 2011 caravans

I've read a few posts about the trip to Old Salem, but thought we could put the info in one place.

I'm leaving northern VA Friday AM and don't know whether to take Rt. 29 South or the tried & true I-81 to I-77.

When are the attendees from north of the Mason-Dixon line coming through?

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

i hate 81, personally, John. 29 is much more fun. you also have the option of taking 15 south to 58 and cutting over to 29 south, although it may take a bit longer.

the only drawback to 29 south is the stretch from gainsville to charlottesville has become riddled with stoplights in the last few years. another nice little "shortcut" is to jump off 29 and take 158 west of Reidsville, NC straight into winston-salem. it's a nice road and you avoid the nasty stretch of 29 in greensboro.

see ya down there, man!

brad.

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

Some of us in VA are leaving Thursday - going down lovely 29 instead of the truck-riddled, boring 81 route.

Here are two solo northbound 29 pics

101709021.jpg

101709022.jpg

From my first V@V trip in 2008 - we took 29 that time.

Vintage2008Meet015.jpg

Vintage2008Meet014.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I'll be driving down from Boston in the E9, probably in one day, hopefully with my son. I'm looking on Google maps at these recommended routes. Are you talking about staying on 81 through Harrisonburg and getting onto 56 near Waynesboro?

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Greppos and Williams leaving Martinsburg Thursday AM

Route 11 that parallels I-81 is a delightful road and an alternative to the interstate.

Jim - what is wrong with trucks? The other option to Rt 29 is Rt 340 out of Front Royal to Rt 11 around Stuarts Draft.

Dr John, have you considered rt 220 out of Roanoke rather than I-77?

Nice road, hilly but less than an interstate but you can still make good time. Sometimes it is two, three and four lane

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Greppos and Williams leaving Martinsburg Thursday AM

Route 11 that parallels I-81 is a delightful road and an alternative to the interstate.

Jim - what is wrong with trucks? The other option to Rt 29 is Rt 340 out of Front Royal to Rt 11 around Stuarts Draft.

Dr John, have you considered rt 220 out of Roanoke rather than I-77?

Nice road, hilly but less than an interstate but you can still make good time. Sometimes it is two, three and four lane

No offense Bill! It's just the "wall of trucks" makes 81 less driver friendly to old cars. Route 29 has been my favorite road for many years.

Jim Gerock

Better be an M2 or purple o2 with all the blogging. I will be greatly disappointed if it isn't..

Are we looking at rain all weekend?

Doug M ny country

No purple 2002 for mlytle - the Cinnabar M2 is a quick beast even before it has been custom tuned. I was in pass. seat yesterday during the first drive w/laptop. His car makes my tii seem pitiful (although my gas mileage will be higher unless he does some sneaky drafting).

Forecast up until Thursday is T-storms. We will have fun no matter what the weather brings. Rain-X is your friend.

d677af14.jpg

pics4242010040-1.jpg

Jim Gerock

LOL...that purple 02 ain't going anywhere....it is but a shell right now. wife and neighbors are not exactly happy with the lawn decoration that it is!

it will be cinnabar M2, techno violet M3 or navigating in Jim's tii!

2xM3

I'll be driving down from Boston in the E9, probably in one day, hopefully with my son. I'm looking on Google maps at these recommended routes. Are you talking about staying on 81 through Harrisonburg and getting onto 56 near Waynesboro?

56 is one of the funnest and twistiest (and kinda dangerous) roads i've driven in VA. It follows the Tye river and has been washed out in several spots this summer with all the downpours. It's not the fastest way to cut over to 29 from 64, but it's certainly the most fun.

I've driven it 3 times this year already (including on our recent 02Group drive) and it was great fun each time. Watch for slow pokes, bicyclists and good ol' boys in big trucks. It's two lanes, no shoulders and tight turns...perfect for an 02 or a coupe!

brad.

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)