• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Emergency brake cable replacing

Got a stuck emergency cable(frozen via rust for sure) so I decided time to replace both. Looks like it is a bear getting them to slide back in. Looking for tips on replacing those buggers. Thanks in advance.

Doug M ny country

v

i

n

t

a

g

e••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••s00n

I just did this job. I learned as I went.

Tips: Use the better of the two old cables to push out any of the old jacket material still left in the tubes. I had one side that took some doing to clean out.

I ended up cutting about half an inch off the threaded end of the new cabels before they would make it through all the curves in the tubes. I still had plenty of adjustment slack once installed so this was not a problem.

Good luck!

Patman

74 2002tii known as "The Pickle"

The original cable had a steel end where it goes into the steel tube under the floor.The new ones have plastic ends and seem to be a different size. When I recently replaced mine I had to cut off 12mm or 1/2 " off the tube to get them to fit properly. The end on the old ones tends to weld itself into the tube about 1/2 "so cutting it off solves that issue.I ended up with heaps of adjustment, no need to cut anything at all on the new cable .

72/2002 Inca

72tii/2002 "Apple"

70/2002 "Five "

73/2002 "Freeda"

2007 Lotus 7 Replica

2011 Ford xr6 Ute

85 E30 325

70 1600-2 "Orange"

Funny I have that kit on my front seat which I'll install when done with the cable. Left cable in already. Right side cable won't break away from the body tube. Got cable to move now working on getting the metal end cap to slide out of the body tube. I had the body tube weld to the body break so I'm cooling my heels a bit. Trying some more PB Blaster,soaking and thinking of workarounds. I thought since I did free up the old cable I could re-use it but I've come this far and can't see the point on not putting the new one in. Patience is a virtue.

dlm ny country