• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gauge pod hold down ring removal

I did try searching a number of different ways and couldn't come up with specific info.

I'm disassembling my gauge pod (1971) for a refurb and I'm having some difficulty getting the last hold down ring out (the metal ring that pressure fits the glass in place) The other two came out pretty easily, but the one behind the tach is wedged in there pretty tightly. Obviously don't want to exert too much force and turn the whole thing into shards.....ideas? Tips? Past nightmare stories?

From the looks of them, there probably was/is a specialized tool whose use was meant specifically for removing these rings. C.D. probably has an assortment of period photos of said tool. Alas, I do not own one, nor do I have the means to make one....so I'm stuck reaching in with my fingers and hoping for the best.

Thanks for any advice/experience you guys may have to offer.

Austin

Santa Barbara, CA

Take a screw driver and place the blade on the little tab. Lower the angle down and drive the ring in the correct direction to remove it. Rap the handle of the screw drive with a small hammer... the torque shock should break the retaining ring loose. Strike the screwdriver lightly using multiple raps, kind of like an impact wrench. The ring should break loose.

Todd

"Common sense isn't common"