• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to know before doing a m20 swap?

Meintii

Hey peeps.. I'm seriously thinking about putting a 2.7 325e engine (m20 right?) in to my 76... What do I need to know before pursuing this swap? I know there are a ton of people on this board that have this swap in there 02.. But Im wondering about thing like..

What tranny/ driveshaft would I need?

What parts/brackets will I need to fabricate?

What will need to happen for the gauges etc to work?

Can you use the factory brake booster, cooling etc?

Im just trying to figure what I will get myself into if I do this swap ;)

Zac Cardinal

1972 2002tii's Blog

1976 2002 "Margie"s blog

IMG_2146copy.jpg

DO A SEARCH!!!

Gee.. Maybe I already have been searching through and didn't find the answers I needed.. Ever think of that?

These kind of posts by guests are the reason I don't post on here anymore

Zac Cardinal

1972 2002tii's Blog

1976 2002 "Margie"s blog

IMG_2146copy.jpg

Hey peeps.. I'm seriously thinking about putting a 2.7 325e engine (m20 right?) in to my 76... What do I need to know before pursuing this swap? I know there are a ton of people on this board that have this swap in there 02.. But Im wondering about thing like..

1. I'm using a 2.5 m20 from a 1989 325I. The transmission I am using is from a 1991 318is. They 318 tranny bolts to the m20 but it has a 10 degree angle difference so the bottom tranny bolts won't work, but you honestly don't need them.

2. I had to get transmission, engine, radiator, and driveshaft mounts fabricated by a friend. I made make coolant overflow brackets, throttle cable brackets, and a couple other brackets myself.

3. Not sure about the guages!

4. The factory brake booster works. For cooling I am using a mk2 gold radiator with a soon to be 12 inch electrical fan. I had to cut into the front of the car for it to fit.

Hope that helps!

-scott

1. I'm using a 2.5 m20 from a 1989 325I. The transmission I am using is from a 1991 318is. They 318 tranny bolts to the m20 but it has a 10 degree angle difference so the bottom tranny bolts won't work, but you honestly don't need them.

2. I had to get transmission, engine, radiator, and driveshaft mounts fabricated by a friend. I made make coolant overflow brackets, throttle cable brackets, and a couple other brackets myself.

4. The factory brake booster works. For cooling I am using a mk2 gold radiator with a soon to be 12 inch electrical fan. I had to cut into the front of the car for it to fit.

Hope that helps!

-scott

Do you have any videos of your car driving?

Also did you consider building an m10? Not sure which I want, it'd be fun to build a motor, and at the same time fun to have an m20 with as much or more power then a built m10.

What is wiring like on these swaps?

1988 Bmw E30 M50 Turbo

1975 Bmw 2002

Hope that helps!

-scott

Also did you consider building an m10? Not sure which I want, it'd be fun to build a motor, and at the same time fun to have an m20 with as much or more power then a built m10.

Unfortunately I do not! I have yet to get the car on the street due to still waiting on my driveshaft.

Before I did the swap, I bought dual 40DCOES and had plans for a bigger cam and so on, but when A buddy of mine was selling his m20 for less than what I bought the dcoes for I had to buy it.

The wirirng is pretty simple. Theyre are 8 or so wires that you have to wire into the m20 harness from the 2002 one and thats it. I guess if you didnt know what you were doing itd be tricky, but with basic wiring knowledge it wasnt hard at all.

You could just do what I'm doing and build up the m20 before swapping it in.

10.5:1 CR

Schrick 288 cam

ITB's

etc etc

Tinker Engineering - 2014

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all

Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep

Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history

Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now

.... That an M20 CAN be installed without cutting/gutting of the radiator support.... requires parts from an earlier Euro M20 engine, but can be made to work with the motronic ignition.

I am planning this one out for two different customer cars. One of them is a '76 and needs the car to pass CA smog with the M20.

Just my two cents. :)

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Oh, and I would seriously consider using the 2.5L 325i engine as opposed to the 2.7l 325e engine. The 'e' only has 127 horsepower and only rev's to about 4500 rpm, while the 'i' engine has 167 hp and revs up to 6700rpm. The 'e' engine has slightly more torque, but that's not really something you need a bunch of in an '02.

Now if you really want to get crazy take the 325e bottom end, throw the 'i' head on top and you get a nice 8.0:1 CR perfect for turbo charging..

You could just do what I'm doing and build up the m20 before swapping it in.

10.5:1 CR

Schrick 288 cam

ITB's

etc etc

I hear you, and I've been following your build on e30tech. I'd like to talk to you once you get those itb's going.

How much cutting up of the front did you guys have to do?

1988 Bmw E30 M50 Turbo

1975 Bmw 2002

As tjones02 said, you can put the m20 in without cutting the radiator area. One of the first m20 swaps I know of was Pete McHenry's orange tii (now has m3 engine). I saw it at his house in the '80's while he was fitting the engine in and he stated that if he had to cut any sheetmetal he wouldn't do the swap. I rode in the car later while it was carbureted (I believe he was running a Q-jet at the time) and the car was quick. Pete later switched it to fuel injection. Pete also converted his tii to 5 lug wheels and I kick myself for not getting all the details on the rear conversion. Anyway, sorry for the trip down memory lane.

Steve.

I haven't cut any sheet metal in the engine bay yet (the trans tunnel is another matter all together lol). That being said I don't have my radiator or water pump on the engine yet, so that may change. I'm not adverse to trimming some of the front away, but I'd rather keep all the stock metal there if I have the option.

Zac -

Are you seriously considering swapping a 6-cylinder into your early tii?

I'd do it to another car (std. 2002, not a tii). Is the engine meant for your other car?

See you at the end of the month.

Jim

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"