• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

quick e21 4 speed transminssion question

horton

Hey guys, I tried searching but with no avail, all anyone ever talks about is 5 speeds out of e21s. The tranny in my 74 took a dump and my brother has a good original 4 speed laying around out of his 77 e21. I was wondering if it will bolt right up to my car without having to shorten the drive shaft or change the fork thingy or anything like that. They look relatively the same so Im trying to figure this out so I can put it in tomorrow. thanks!

1974 2002

careful I used an e21 4 speed for a short while before my 5 speed conv. The selector rod on the e21 is shorter so you have to modify the shift linkage. It will bolt up just fine though. Kind of a pain to get the shift linkage right.

Old enough to know better, young enough to do it again.

I use a 320i 4 speed in my 02. Bolts right up no problem. No difference in length. Slave cylinder is different. I used a 320i through out bearing and it works fine but I do get a pretty severe crunch when shifting into reverse. Maybe I should have used a 323i throw out bearing? Either way it works like a champ... Bolt it up and go.

Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well!

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm about to put in a 4 speed from a 3 series as well. I've heard that the tranny tunnel needs to be banged out a bit to fit the trans in. Is this true? Does the tunnel need to be hammered out to accomodate the slave cylinder being 180 degrees the other way? Thanks in advance. -Chris

.…”Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...You've got to run like an antelope: out of control…”

- 1974 2002 Atlantikblau sunroof

It has the same slave issues as the 5- speed, so you need to

clearance it just a bit.

It is the same length and guibo as the 2002, so you don't need

to fuss with the driveshaft.

It uses the same throwout system as the 5- speed, so if you're

using the 215mm flywheel, just use 320 parts.

If you're using the 228 flywheel, the 323 throwout will improve things

a bit. But some live without it just fine.

The early shift platform has the same issues as the 5- speed- there's

no place for the lower support. So you make one. But it's the right length.

The later platform should work just fine.

There you are.

Oh, and the speedo's geared for a 3.64 diff, too.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I solved the shift tower support issue by drilling a small pilot hole where the mount normally goes on a 2002 tranny. Iv actually had 2 320i trannys in my car and I did the same thing both times. Piece of cake, just dont drill too deep... Dont need it to be to deep anyway.

Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well!