• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how do i wire a push button start switch

esty

• Administrators

Turn the key to on and then short the connectors on the starter. Local parts store should have a remote starter. To hav it in th cab, you need a high amp momentary switch that send power to the small terminal on the starter.

Steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

Turn the key to on and then short the connectors on the starter. Local parts store should have a remote starter. To hav it in th cab, you need a high amp momentary switch that send power to the small terminal on the starter.

Steve k.

i have a suitable start button...we've used one like it on our tractor...so run a wire from the large battery cable on the starter (or + battery terminal) to the switch, then from the switch back to the small ignition terminal on the starter...

to start, turn key to run, push button...right?

Esty, what year car are you refering to. If it's a square-lite, you have a diagnostic plug (orange, about 3/4" x 1") located inboard from the fuse block. The remote starter Steve refers to is about $7-8 and the red lead connects to the outboard, most rearward hole in the plug (grind down a medium-sized nail to fit in the hole and clip onto that. The black lead clips on to the + battery post, and, viola, your car will start when you push the button.

If you have a roundie I'm not sure which connection you use for the red lead. Probably one of the solenoid posts, but someone will chime in with that info.

Good luck,

Bob Napier

Esty, what year car are you refering to. If it's a square-lite, you have a diagnostic plug (orange, about 3/4" x 1") located inboard from the fuse block. The remote starter Steve refers to is about $7-8 and the red lead connects to the outboard, most rearward hole in the plug (grind down a medium-sized nail to fit in the hole and clip onto that. The black lead clips on to the + battery post, and, viola, your car will start when you push the button.

If you have a roundie I'm not sure which connection you use for the red lead. Probably one of the solenoid posts, but someone will chime in with that info.

Good luck,

Bob Napier

bob...we have a remote start button, if steve didn't misplace it...it's a 71 and does have the diagnostic plug...if it's wired to work...

doing as you say, the key must be in the run position, right?

edit...i found a pic

Diagnostic_Plug1.jpg...you're referring to pin 1 ?

Jumping pin #1 to pin #7 (or positive from the battery to #7) will energize the starter relay and spin it. Make sure you also have power to the positive side of the ignition coil when the ignition key is on if you haven't already checked that.

Rob S
'69 2002; '04 330i ZHP; 2018 X1; 2014 535i; 2017 340i

• Administrators

Steve k.

i have a suitable start button...we've used one like it on our tractor...so run a wire from the large battery cable on the starter (or + battery terminal) to the switch, then from the switch back to the small ignition terminal on the starter...

to start, turn key to run, push button...right?

Any positive will work. If you useva switched positive you will not have worry about accidentally turning over the starter when key is off.

Steve k

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

Also, Esty, here's a link that shows all the wiring on the back of the iginition switch:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,356752/highlight,ignition+switch/

Bob Napier

i didn't understand the image...it shows wires and a plug but says nothing about what the wires are for or where or what they run to

am i missing something in the pic of the switch wires?

seems like what needs doing is test for power to the coil with the key in the run position then try and wire the remote starter switch

Right on target Esty.

PS: on that pic, the black wire (#50) is the intermittent power to the starter, and the two green wires (#15) are the switched power when the key is in the on position.

So... the green wires/terminal (b and c on the diagram or #15 on the switch) should be hot when the key is on the "on" position (position III in BMW speak) while the black terminal/wire (d on the diagram or #50 on the switch) is only hot when the key is turned to the "start" position (position IV on the BMW wiring diagram).

Rob S

Right on target Esty.

PS: on that pic, #50 *black wire) is the intermittent power to the starter, and the two green wires (#15) are the switched power when the key is in tbe on position.

So... the green wires/terminal (b and c on the diagram or #15 on the switch) should be hot when the key is on the "on" position (position III in BMW speak) while the black terminal/wire (d on the diagram or #50 on the switch) is only hot when the key is turned to the "start" position (position IV on the BMW wiring diagram).

to be certain that i understand, green supplies power to coil, black, power to solenoid when holding key in start position

Correct.

If you have a voltmeter, you can also check the ignition switch function at the diagnostic plug. If the switch is working correctly, you will get 12V at pin #2 when the ignition is switched on, and 12V at pin 7 when the key is in the start position.

Rob S

Correct.

If you have a voltmeter, you can also check the ignition switch function at the diagnostic plug. If the switch is working correctly, you will get 12V at pin #2 when the ignition is switched on, and 12V at pin 7 when the key is in the start position.

thanks a bunch...i understand now