Crash513

Need Ignition and Coil advice for 73tii

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello everyone.

This may be another dumb question that's been discussed before, so forgive me if this has been brought up on a previous thread.

I'm working with my Son on a long term restoration of our jointly owned '73 2002tii. In tuning up the ignition system, we have had a few problems. First off, had a brand new set of genuine Bosch breaker points fail after <100 miles. One of the contact points simply fell out of it's mount. After replacing with a second set, and dialing in the dwell the car ran great for about another 100 miles then started exhibiting a high speed miss. Re-checking the points and timing indicated that the gap slipped a bit on the new breaker points, so re-adjusted and tightened them down a little more firmly this time and the car is running fine ever since.

Based on this experience, I started investigating solid state ignition options for the car. I had heard a lot of good things about the Pertronix kit, which appears to be a pretty cheap and reliable option. However, when I talked to my local expert (Marshall at '02 Salvage in Hawyward, CA) he advised against it. Apparently there is something about the mechanical advance curve in tii distributors (which lack a vaccum advance) that the Pertronix kit does not agree with. Marshall instead recomended just sticking with a good set of breaker points. I've also decided it's cap and rotor time, since there was a fair amount of carbon tracing inside the disti, and plug wires for sure since the boots are all pretty munged.

So, here are my questions for anyone who can advise...

1. Has anyone used the Pertronix kit with good results on a tii? If so, any secrets?

2. Has anyone had experience with the more expensive solid state kits from Crane, MSD, or any other manufacturers?

3. If I stay with the breaker point system, any benefit to stepping up to a "blue" Bosch coil, which I have also heard will help improve spark?

Any insights or advice are much appreciated.

Thanks all,

Leslie Martin (aka Crash513)

Hello Leslie,

Make sure to apply a small amount of Bosch distributor grease to the cam that the rubbing block of the points rides on. Without this, the points gap will close very quickly. I have had a hard time finding this of late, but a single tube will last a lifetime. Sadly the points made by Bosch today are not nearly as good as the earlier ones... I have no experience with the MSD etc. in a 2002. I have ran one in a VW engine in the past, with good results.

Best of luck,

73tiijeff

I have run Pertronix for many years, some with MSD boxes, others without. Some fail, some don't. I have also run Crane (Or Allison in the early days) and had many issues with them. Points are pretty much bullet proof if you keep them adjusted and replace them often.

As for the blue coil....it will be a downgrade. The blue coil has internal resistance and actually has less spark energy than a stock one. It only does not require the use of a ballast resistor. If anything, get a Bosch Red coil and run that. It will be an equal or improvement over your stock coil.

I put Pertronix in both my '73 Tii's. One for over 10 years now. Love it. Made the biggest difference to date in general drivability.

Interestingly over the last 1-2 years I started having general "keep it tuned" difficulties on the high-use car. Fluctuating idle, miss at high speeds, poor gas mileage. The little black ring on the dist shaft would slide a bit, and in general things were getting a bit "loose".

So I purchased the hotspark next b/c honestly it is the same as pertronix and yet 30-40 bucks cheaper. I actually like it better. The pertronix came with different sleeves and bases, etc. to custom fit it to the distributor. This one has no options and it just fit perfectly. BOOM, it's back in business, +5 mpg or more than before, no miss, steady idle, all that.

Your mileage may vary of course! Some folks have had them burn out, I think I just wore this one out... but overall it's worth the $60 bucks to give it a try.

Hope this helps,

~Jason

+1 on the Hotspark unit. Been using one in my 74tii for a year with zero issues. Never has run better or idled smoother since the 15 minute install. Best $49 spent so far.

Patman

I race with a Pertronix as a MSD trigger in a tii dizzy, and have never

had any trouble with it at all.

Points, not so much.

fwiw.

t

Just wanted to thank everyone for the quick and very helpful replies. I decided to go with the Hot Spark unit and give it a try. All your help is much appreciated!

Regards,

Leslie (aka Crash 513)

Just wanted to thank everyone for the quick and very helpful replies. I decided to go with the Hot Spark unit and give it a try. All your help is much appreciated!

Regards,

Leslie (aka Crash 513)