• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Master and Slave Cylinder R&R Costs - Seattle Mechanic

gregh

I have loaned my 72 2002 tii to a friend in Seattle for a couple of years while I live overseas. She has been having trouble with the clutch (clutch goes to the floor).

Over the phone we diagnosed master or slave cylinder or a hydraulic leak.

She has taken it to a mechanic (Car Tenders in Seattle) and they say that it's the master cylinder but recommended replacing the slave cylinder too.

Master and Slave = $1125

Master only = $625

It's been a long time since I've had anything done in a shop but these prices are nearly double what I was expecting. And I certainly don't see how doing the slave cylinder could cost an ADDITIONAL $500. (I priced the M&S cylinder pair on Bavarian Autosport for ~$150)

QUESTIONS

1) Are these quotes highway robbery or am I out of touch?

2) Should we replace Master and Slave Cylinders as a pair?

3) Is there any way to make sure that it's the Master and not the Slave cylinder?

4) Any other shops in central Seattle that you could recommend? (Don't want to tow it too far)

Thanks heaps!

GregH

I have loaned my 72 2002 tii to a friend in Seattle for a couple of years while I live overseas. She has been having trouble with the clutch (clutch goes to the floor).

Over the phone we diagnosed master or slave cylinder or a hydraulic leak.

She has taken it to a mechanic (Car Tenders in Seattle) and they say that it's the master cylinder but recommended replacing the slave cylinder too.

Master and Slave = $1125

Master only = $625

It's been a long time since I've had anything done in a shop but these prices are nearly double what I was expecting. And I certainly don't see how doing the slave cylinder could cost an ADDITIONAL $500. (I priced the M&S cylinder pair on Bavarian Autosport for ~$150)

QUESTIONS

1) Are these quotes highway robbery or am I out of touch?

2) Should we replace Master and Slave Cylinders as a pair?

3) Is there any way to make sure that it's the Master and not the Slave cylinder?

4) Any other shops in central Seattle that you could recommend? (Don't want to tow it too far)

Thanks heaps!

1) I think they're a wee high personally

2)Do em both

3) Would have to look at it

4) Patrick at Midnight Motorsport is a GREAT guy! If he's busy im no certified mechanic but I wouldnt mind coming out and helping (I've done a slave/removed a master). Couple 2002 guys probably wouldnt mind helping another 02 friend as well! Let me know, I'm in Issaquah and free most afternoons.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I would think some of the members of this board in the Seattle area will come up with some other shop suggestions. The quotes sound a little high to me.

If you're not too emotionally involved with the girl maybe someone will offer to donate their labor in exchange for beer. :-)

Bob Napier

I would think some of the members of this board in the Seattle area will come up with some other shop suggestions. The quotes sound a little high to me.

If you're not too emotionally involved with the girl maybe someone will offer to donate their labor in exchange for beer. :-)

Bob Napier

too bad im in chicago, this would be an excellent opportunity to get beer...and help somebody out and make friends...of course.

Forget Car Tenders! They are a pricey bunch. Patrick at Midnight Motorsport is highly recommended (my car is there now). He's a one man shop, so he's booked up frequently. If he can't do it on your schedule he can recommend someone. Another 02 owner owns The Shop in Ballard. You might give Sam a call too.

Oh, and might as well do both. No sense doing one only to have to turn around and do it again.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

Take it to Patrick at Midnight Motorsport in Seattle.

He fixed my non stock "frankenclunker 02" for a totally

reasonable rate when 3 other shops would not give my the

time of day, after quoting outrageous prices.

Also, he straight up gave me a totally honest assessment of

my cars condition and the best course to take with it.

He is someone who does what he does for the craft, and benefit

of his customers.

Regards,

Rick Goodwin

Kent, WA

73 2002

Thanks to all for your replies (esp. Roadhog with the kind offer of assistance). We are trying Midnight Motors but will have to consider the tow costs.

Lesson learned next time we'll start off at a Midnight Motors.

GregH

Pelican parts has both in stock, master for $70 and slave for $40, free ground shipping. So assuming a 100% markup on parts, they want $1000 labor. Their labor must be around $300/hr, or about 3x the going rate. Sounds like their way of saying "no thanks".

You might also try Group2 Motorsports (no affiliation, but I have had them do work in the past) in magnolia/interbay. They're good, honest, and know their way around 02s.

-Rojo

That's expensive! I gotta do that to my E21 btw might do it myself if I find time.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

Thanks to all for your replies (esp. Roadhog with the kind offer of assistance). We are trying Midnight Motors but will have to consider the tow costs.

Lesson learned next time we'll start off at a Midnight Motors.

If ya can find a flat bed throw me a few bucks for gas and I can bring my truck down and haul it to Patrick's cheaper than a tow for ya. I Sadly don't have a flatbed yet :/ I wish you the best of luck man!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Less than half sounds about right.

Slave is pretty easy.

Master is a little harder - only because the bolts are harder to get to. I guess if you are a good wrench, you know the tricks.

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Another good place is Autosport Downtown. Terry and Brad are excellent and do great work. As to the tow. If she has Verizon have her add Road side assistance to her plan for $5 a month. Free hook up and first 10 miles free. Also Hadlock towing in Sodo is great. Good luck