• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

320 rear subframe and 5 sped transmission weights

I am going to be moving the subframe and transmission from a customer's storage shed to my garage in anticipation of doing work on his '76 2002. I'd like to know if the two of us will be able to lift these into the back of my truck. I'd appreciate any insight, thanks.

Unless those involved have back issues and or other medical and physical conditions that limit mobility and strength, one person should be able to lift either up and into the back of a truck.

tranny is about 60 pounds estimated

the subframe without all the fixins ( diff trailing arms etc..) is like 25 pounds.

Should not be a problem.

* remember to lift with your legs and not your back *

post-19827-13667642045508_thumb.jpg

But what do I know

Conkitchen,

Thanks. The trans won't be any trouble, there will be two of us. Unfortunately the subframe does have all the "fixins". It is essentially complete, diff,axles, and brakes, but in actually stopping to think, I feel that the two of us will be able to move this thing. As for infirmaty, we're both 63 and have not been kind to these old bodies, but know enough to be careful. Thank you for the info, I just wanted to be sure that there won't be any surprises. Putting the 5 speed in will be a chore as I don't have a lift but do have a trans jack so good news and bad news. Thanks again,

Antiqueynot

Trans is more like 70,

diff is 54,

and the rest of the trailing arm bits ain't light-

be careful, and move the rear assembly in steps, and

you'll be ok. Part of the problem is that it flops around,

and you can suddenly be holding more weight than you

lifted.

That said, I tend to move 'em alone... with care.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Toby and Conkitchen,

Thanks for the thoughts, and the weights. First, let me appologize for the spelling failure, "sped"? Being 63 and having been a mechanic since I was 17, I have moved heavy stuff before, but I appreciate the advice, I really do. Draining the fluid is an excellent thought, may have been done already as the subframe is sitting up already where it's presently stored. We're only moving these 4 miles from the owner's house to my garage. I intend to keep the subframe with diff nose up as it is now and put the trans next to it in the bed of the truck, strap them in, and drive carefully. At my place, if necessary, I have a backhoe and I'll use the front bucket to off load them.

One more question, I've read the rear brake swap procedure and I presume that an impact wrench could be used to remove the axle nut. Am I correct in this presumption? Also, what challenges will I face regarding the handbrake cable attachment? Do I use the 320 hand brake lever at the shoes, or swap in the 2002 lever arm? Thanks for any guidance here.

Actually had that thought too. I have a hand truck that converts to 4 wheel use, and two pieces of plywood, 2' by 4'. I'll load it the pieces on, wheel it 4', put down the next piece of plywood, repeat ad nauseum. I'll use racheting straps to secure both the subframe and the trans while on the hand truck and while they are both in the truck. Thank you for the thought.

The nut's a crapshoot. If you have a big gun, often it'll rattle for

a while, then come loose. Sometimes, not. And sometimes

you have to cut the nut off. But only after jumping on a 6' bar

(using another 6' bar bolted to the lugs to hold the hub)

heat, swearing, and something like PBBLaster...

As to the parking brake, twice now I have removed 2002 rear drums

and backing plates and replaced them with 320 drums and plates,

and twice I have hooked up the 2002's cables with success.

I don't remember if maybe there was a spacer, but it wasn't hard at all.

I DO remember when I did it, I though, 'well, that was obvious;

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Toby,

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like air cooled VW or Volvo 122 rear axle nuts, a bear at best. The problem here is that I'm dealing with just a subframe. Good to know what to expect. Thanks too for the brake advice, I'll just have to play it by ear. It will probably be a month or so before I get the job, I'll let you know how I make out. I posted a power brake bleeder trick in a separate post. I hope it helps somebody out.