wegweiser

Oh rust, how I love thee....

20 posts in this topic Last Reply

If you've ever done front balljoints on an East Coast car, this may be a familiar sight. Grinder, torch, and chisel removed it in 15 minutes.

Before and after photos of the strut assemblies will be posted soon.

Paul

post-2748-13667641436678_thumb.jpg

original ball joints after 40 years...and amazingly after a little overnight soaking and a little heat, the remains of the nut actually unscrewed!

Those left coasters don't know what they're missing in patience-building activities!

Gonna see you at Vintage?

mike

Those left coasters don't know what they're missing in patience-building activities!

aka Zen, Michael.....pure Zen.

Removed right strut, and completely disassembled arm, joint, spring, bearings, cleaned and prepped for tonight's sandblasting...in 90 minutes flat. It's amazing how quickly you can disassemble a car when it's pouring down rain.

YES! I (and the F bomb gal) will definitely be at the Vintage. See Y'all there!

Paul

Man, why aren't you putting all of this in one place so we can all scan over it as time goes by, to watch the transformation? Its gonna be astonishing to look back after a year or two!

I just rebuilt a suspension that went from something like, Germany to Paris to Chicago to Cincinnati.. it was just like that. What a sense of pride, and even justice, I felt when it was done.

file-8.jpg

file-61.jpg

file-175.jpg

file-512.jpg

I will eventually. Right now I'm writing a series of articles for Scott Sturdy's "Vintage BMW" magazine. Need to save some stuff for the articles, you know! :)

I'll be "at the beach" in the sandblast room after work tonight...and tomorrow...and the next day.

Nice work on yours, by the way...that's the spirit!

Paul

Yep been there. Real trick is removing the three strut bolts at the bottom. Without snapping them off that is.

post-2748-13667641443011_thumb.jpg

This meant to be funny:

Somebody needs to go Safety wire School and learn to twist.

Norm

Wow that's why I hate working with suspension parts they take a LOT of work and not precision work exactly! Maybe if I had the tools...ahhh i wish I had a sand blaster I know I would use it so much.

Keep up the good work my friend........

She really is a cool project,besides,Paul must have a 2002 to be whole.

Jonathan

If you've ever done front balljoints on an East Coast car, this may be a familiar sight. Grinder, torch, and chisel removed it in 15 minutes.

Before and after photos of the strut assemblies will be posted soon.

Paul

Gross. I remember that though, my florida 02 needed its ball joint done and I ended up doing the same. once the nut was in, I filled it with grease to keep from corroding in the future.

Looks exactly like mine did a few years ago. But mine wasn't 15 minutes. More like four hours with an air chisel, heat and a Dremel tool. That son of a gun just did NOT want to give up its hold on the steering knuckle!

Great to read about the progress. I really need to sweet-talk my wife into letting me go to Vintage again this year--maybe we can caravan?

-Dave

My plan is to leave fairly early Friday 5/27. (maybe 8 am) from Zelienople. Shoot me an e mail if you think you'd like to caravan. (note: I drive my cars at high speed on major highways) ;-)

paul