SailLaser

Tail light issue...

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hey so I am having a problem with my driver side tail light on my 76', the brake, reverse and blinker all work perfectly, it is just the tail light that doesn't work. I sanded down the point a little bit, sprayed it with cleaner, the bulb is fine. I can't think of anything else. ideas? Thanks

1. With a voltmeter, check the feed wire to the offending tail light to see if it's getting current. If so, the problem is definitely with the socket. If not, you'll have to trace that wire back to the next junction point, which may be at the switch or the fuse box. On a '76, left and right tail and parking lights have their own fuse (#7 for left, #8 for right) so check your left parking light; if it's not working, then it's the fuse. Remove and clean or replace.

2. If the wire is hot, then examine the socket carefully. Make sure the hot terminal is actually touching the contact point at the center of the bulb base, and that the ground between bulb and socket is good. If you can wiggle the bulb and have it momentarily work, then there's either corrosion in the socket, or the bulb is loose.

Let us know whatcha find...so we can dig deeper if necessary.

mike

Good news, it was a fuse, I wish i realized that before I used volt meters, and did numerous tests...oh well. Now I have another problem, all of the lights work except for the driver side blinker marker light. The blinker/hazard works, it is just the marker light in the blinker that does not work. I am puzzled because there is only one bulb...

Thanks for your help, Carter.