• Upcoming Events

eurotrash

5 speed conversion planning

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

The obsessing doth creep..

Should I change the leaky oil pan and maybe a rear crank oil seal while the trans is off the car? I have a set of crank seals, and the pan gasket is cheap.

Because all of this sounds easier 'on the floor', I'm seriously considering yanking the whole she-bang out the top because of a cranky sounding water pump, a leaky front cover and oil pan..

I have been sitting on the e30 alternator for swap too.

This is bad.

Please, someone, push or pull me to the best path of logic, I'm getting overwhelmed with just the stupid 5 speed research.. then these kinda things occur to me.

This is exactly my plan.

To pull the motor with a cherry picker and place it on a stand to redo the seals, waterpump, starter, manifold, carb, front/rear seals, mounts, install the flywheel (mine's an auto), boil and pressure test the Rad.

Then, reassemble the whole thing on the floor, raise the car and drop it back onto the motor/subframe.

I think it's the way to go rather than have to attend to engine issues separately a year from now.

Cheers!

Dude, call me in the morning and I'll provide all the counseling that I can. I seem to be talking a lot lately about 5 speed conversions.

There's not one right answer to this. If you're never going to be happy unless you do these seals and gaskets on your engine, then do it. But I am a firm believer that every repair does not have to start a cascade that only ends when every washer on the car is zinc-plated. It's a function of your time, your budget, whether you want to drive the car to V@V and only have time to deal with the 5-speed but not a little seal weeping, etc.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.