14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Coil spring vs diaphragm pressure plate!

Our1st02

I need to find a coil spring style pressure plate for a 228mm clutch set up. I can only find the diaphragm style online and even the local BMW dealership is at a loss. Any help would be awesome!

I think the early cars had them, but from what I can tell they are either NLA or very expensive.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2515&mospid=47139&btnr=21_0141&hg=21&fg=05

VINs below 1665200. Those engines have 6 bolt crankshafts and thus different flywheels from later cars. My '69 is one of the last 400 built with this setup.

If you do an archive search on coil spring pressure plate, I posted a message a few months ago with the name of a VW parts place in California who had these pressure plates NOS--at least they did several years ago--and at a good price.

Fallback position is to have your 6 bolt flywheel drilled to accept a diaphragm pressure plate. The clutches are the same diameter, just different bolt pattern.

I can't get to the name and address of the place right now, but if you havent found a pressure plate by the weekend, send me an e-mail and I'll try and find the place name for you.

cheers

mike

So I found a site that sells the plate and disc as a kit for $500 and the throw-out bearing for another 175. http://www.wallothnesch.com . Now as far as drilling the flywheel to accept the diaphragm plate goes, wouldn't that put the fingers too far back from the throw-out bearing for the clutch to disengage? The diaphragm style plate is much shorter than the coil spring style.

which pressure plate is used--only the pressure plate and T/O bearing are different. If you use the diaphragm pressure plate you have to use the matching T/O bearing that goes with it. Check realoem.com to see if there are different T/O bearing withdrawal forks--don't think they are, but I'm not sure.

The NOS coil spring pressure plate I bought several years ago in CA was only about $80--did you check the archives to find the posting about it? Hey Ben (eastsidebimmer)--didn't I give you the name of that place for your '68? Just trying to save you some $$$.

cheers

mike