Good Book

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi, wanted an 02 for about 5yrs, going to buy one. Geting ride of 97 Jeep GCLtd, to purchase an 02 (hopefully '74 or older, no smog (SoCal)). Hopefully someone can recommend a Book on 02s to buy and have as my first resource guide.

Guest Anonymous

Consider the following steps:

First, rush to a well-stocked magazine rack and pick up the May 2003 issue of Classic and Sports Car which has a brief but sound '02 buying guide. Most everyone makes a point of highlighting '02 features in current magazines, and after a taste of this UK-sourced title you'll quickly realize that US magazines are pretty poor by way of comparison. Magazine such as Practical Classics oriented towards hands-on classic ownership will best buoy your hopes.

Second, trudge to the order desk and request ISBN 1 85520 4517 BMW '02 Restoration Guide by Mike Macartney. Perhaps not a scintillating read, but a careful perusual of this title will answer many questions before your even able to formulate them for posting upon this board.

Third, shout out where it is in the nation that you are as there is no substitute for '02 owners nearby who might be willing to help examine potential purchases. A lot of '02's are in a really poor state, and if someone else is present to underline the degree to which effort must be expended to set an example right, it could be the difference between fully warming to the hobby or abandoning it prematurely for having been stung.

Best regards...

Mike K.

'74 '02 Malaga

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the advice, already picked up the Brit Classic/Sports Mag. I do have to say that I didn't understand your last piece of advice in your first post...are you saying that I should ask an 02er to check out a car for me? This would be great if someone was willing to lend me their time and knowledge. As I want my 02 to be my main motorized transportation. Love the cars, cannot wait to be an owner.

Guest Anonymous

you should probably get your hands on the haynes manual as well- ISBN 0 85696 240 6. This is quite a detailed book covering most areas of repair.

Frequently makes things sound a lot simpler than they really are tho. (eg. unscrew four securing bolts = take 2 days and 3 layers of knuckle skin belting nuts off quarter turn at a time, while lying on back under car)

Guest Anonymous

Indeed, especially if an '02 will be your principle transportation do bring along an '02 owner-enthusiast to inspect any potential purchase should this be possible. I bought the first '02 I ever inspected and was fairly fortunate, while I'm oh so conscious of the fact that it could easily have gone the other way. I wish you the best. My follow up message speaks of my haste to post without first carefully editing what it is I hoped to communicate.

Mike K.

'74 '02 Malaga