14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Driving long distance question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

In May im gonna do the longest drive in my 2002 that ive done since ive ownd it. Im gonna drive from Orange County,CA to Desert Hot Springs,CA. Its about 100 miles. But I was wondering if some could give me some tips. Should I bring any spare parts or tools with me. What about driving patterns, should i drive for an hour then stop somewhere and let it cool and then drive the last hour. Also my engine has been running super hot. By the time I drive around the block a few times the temp gauge is in the red. It has enough coolant, enough oil, no leaks. Should I replace the water pump, tstat, and radiator before going since it easily reaches 120 degrees there. TIA.

I've driven to Palm Springs from San Diego 3 times over the past year and a half with no problems. You definetly want have your overheating problem fixed befire you attempt the trip. Remember that are are plenty of part stores there if anything happens while you are in the valley.

Have Fun!

't'stat is a good suggestion, but I would suggest first making sure there is no air in the system - remove cap and run engine til warm, revving slightly now and then - be sure to have a catch pan for any overflow.

Next, check the connectors on the sending unit and the gauge. Check that all connections are corrosion-free and good and tight, also the cluster ground.

Then I would check the sender unit itself. The sender is really a 'thermistor' - a resistor which varies it's resistance with changes in temperature. Using a DMM set to resistance - Ω, measure the resistance across the sensor's terminals. At ambient temperature, the value should be somewhere in the 2000-2900Ω, once the engine is warm, the resistance should drop to the 350-550Ω range.

If all this checks out, then go on to the 't'stat and finally the pump.

Cheers!

Guest Anonymous

I also forgot to say that my car never went over half. It seems like it started after I put my used 32/36 weber on because my 38/38 was leaking gas.

I also forgot to say that my car never went over half. It seems like it started after I put my used 32/36 weber on because my 38/38 was leaking gas.

Do you have a water choke?

Did you bleed the cooling system after the carb swap?

That could be the issue.

Cheers!

100 miles???? You gotta get out more! Lol...seriously I drive my 02 EVERYWHERE. Been to Arizona in the summer...110+ degrees through the desert and it ran cool as ice....been up and down the coast MANY MANY times from So Cal to Nor Cal...The 02 is a fun road trip car. I usually dont take many tools with me...I DO make sure everything is in PERFECT working order before I drive anywhere. These cars are reliable and rarely fail without warning...so if something is even a little bit off, address it completely before driving. Dont take a road trip with the temp gauge over 1/2 up the gauge...thats the hottest it should be...Mine sits about 1/3 up the gauge....Oh and ENJOY THE TRIP!

Guest Anonymous
100 miles???? You gotta get out more! Lol...seriously I drive my 02 EVERYWHERE. Been to Arizona in the summer...110+ degrees through the desert and it ran cool as ice....been up and down the coast MANY MANY times from So Cal to Nor Cal...The 02 is a fun road trip car. I usually dont take many tools with me...I DO make sure everything is in PERFECT working order before I drive anywhere. These cars are reliable and rarely fail without warning...so if something is even a little bit off, address it completely before driving. Dont take a road trip with the temp gauge over 1/2 up the gauge...thats the hottest it should be...Mine sits about 1/3 up the gauge....Oh and ENJOY THE TRIP!

Haha the farthest i drove it was Long Beach to Downtown LA. What are you running as far as a radiator?

Guest Anonymous

Do you have a water choke?

Did you bleed the cooling system after the carb swap?

That could be the issue.

Cheers!

I honestly dont know. How can I tell? How can I bleed it?

Haha the farthest i drove it was Long Beach to Downtown LA. What are you running as far as a radiator?

x2 -- I'm with JR.! If I were you I'd bring along a gallon of distilled water (if you don't want coolant sitting in your trunk.). My air cleaner and stock header were storing alot of heat and causing over overheating for the stock radiator. now running a ceramic coated shorty header along with a smaller weber air cleaner. I now have no issue running a stock radiator on my 55 mile a day commute up the 57 highway and across the 210. Have done multiple coast runs up to san fransisco or portland with no overheating.

I honestly dont know. How can I tell? How can I bleed it?

Open the heater valve (slide over to HOT) in the car and run the car for 10 min. with the radiator cap off, revving occaisionally. Let car cool off, top up with coolant, replace cap and drive normally 10 mi. or so. Let car cool down, remove cap, and make sure coolant is filled to within 1 in. of the filler neck.

Cheers!

Currently a stock radiator with a SPAL high flow electric fan upgrade on the cooling system....I plan on getting a silicon garage 3 core...I have 2 old radiators to use as a core. My original which was leaky and another one I got from a FAQ member for free! I put in a very clean early radiator in mine when it was having some cooling issues. Had it pressure and flow tested and it passed so I threw it in with my electric fan upgrade. I was VERY impressed the car ran in 118 degree AZ heat with NO issues. In fact 90 MPH through the desert and the car never got over 1/2 up the temp gauge. ALso using the hottest t-stat so I can get heat in the winter....