14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

Rear output Seal? (nt)

MrSharky

Okay -

So a little help here - how does one get this nut off? (green arrow in the picture)

I think it's a 32mm, but I can't seem to find a socket anywhere that fits onto it. Sears, Harbor freight, no luck.

Any thoughts on getting that bad boy off?

Matt

post-18256-13667639483096_thumb.jpg

It's a 30mm thin walled.

If you are inclined to "turn" one down, try the bench grinder and put the socket in the drill or impact wrench and let the sparks fly!

You will definately need an impact to crack that nut loose.

Also you will need to first remove the retainer ring/clip (highlighted in red)that is down inside the flange that surounds the nut. Otherwise your socket aint gonna fit in there.

A gear puller too may have to be used to get the flange off the spline.

Have fun, what is a real tricky seal is the shift shaft.

Just did this exercise today, oh joy what fun.

post-2154-1366763949026_thumb.jpg

Oh goodie, now I'm really beginning to look forward to this.

You're telling me there's a retainer ring/clip in there? As you can see, mine has a protective coating on it, which makes it difficult to see. How does one get that out without damaging it? "The Book" say seems to show that one could just jam a screwdriver in there and ease it out. I'm not sure mine looks like that. Again, the coating of gook (which is the reason I'm doing this, and I am ever so slowly trying to clean off) makes it difficult to see.

Is there any way I could do this without the large metal bar? Not sure where I'd get my hands on one of those - probably easier for me to find the retaining spanner 6039 from BMW. Anyone got one of those handy?

Thinking maybe easier to replace the whole shebang at this point. Is it time for a 5 speed? Kinda kidding about that.... but.....

post-15153-13667639515023_thumb.jpg

post-15153-13667639516263_thumb.jpg

You're telling me there's a retainer ring/clip in there? As you can see, mine has a protective coating on it, which makes it difficult to see. How does one get that out without damaging it?

About 9 o'clck in your photo is a radius out. Use a needle nose punch to tap between the lock cup and the flange. The cup will bend in. Do this in several places as the gap between the cup and flange increases. Pull out the cup with a needle nosed pliers. Yes you need a new lock cup unless you are really adept at reforming it.

On installing a new lock, slide it in and drive the cup into the radius out area carefully to lock it in.

You're telling me there's a retainer ring/clip in there? As you can see, mine has a protective coating on it, which makes it difficult to see. How does one get that out without damaging it?

Yes you need a new lock cup unless you are really adept at reforming it.

On installing a new lock, slide it in and drive the cup into the radius out area carefully to lock it in.

I've never had any luck re-using the old lock plate- they seem to fall out even after messing with them.