need suggestions for replacing heater void

While my windshield seal may be on its way out, the source of water pooling and floorboard/pedal box rust is most certainly my heater box assembly. I pulled it out today and it's just toooooons of rust behind there. It didn't appear to be all that functional during the short time I used it, and I doubt I'll ever be driving this thing when it's really cold here in Dallas ..so I'm just going to leave it out entirely.

I've searched and searched and only found one person using a piece of masonite with some hacked gasket, but the suggestion was for a short time fix while refurbishing the heater box.

has anyone put together any long term solutions?

The downside to eliminating the heater and fan altogether is that you can't defrost/defog the windshield if it starts raining, even in warm weather. While you might not plan to drive the car at all in inclement weather, you'll eventually get caught by surprise. If that happens, you'll want some way to clear the windshield. The butterfly windows will help a bit, but a small hairdryer might work a lot better.

I used a piece of TEMPERED masonite( the dark coffee bean colored stuff )and CLOSED cell foam and ran with no leaks for ? 6? months. If you are paranoid seal all the cut edges and drilled holes with super glue or two part epoxy and the block-off plate will probably outlast you. Old boat builders info :).

Aha! I think it was an earlier post of yours that I saw ..thanks for the specific clarification - I may just give that a shot and see how long it lasts.

I used a piece of TEMPERED masonite( the dark coffee bean colored stuff )and CLOSED cell foam and ran with no leaks for ? 6? months. If you are paranoid seal all the cut edges and drilled holes with super glue or two part epoxy and the block-off plate will probably outlast you. Old boat builders info :).

"dark coffee bean" mmm good choice carl