Best way to turn over motor with no starter?...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Is there any trick to turning over the motor with no starter? I cant roll it in gear because it's in my garage now, and if I roll it out I wont be able to push it back in (decent sized step up).

What size is that nut thats on the main belt pully? 26mm? Can I just put the right size socket on there and turn clockwise?

Also, probably a dumb question, but... I need piston 1 to TDC. Can I just turn the motor until the pointer points the the 2nd notch on the pully? What will varify that it's TDC?

Guest Anonymous

when I adjust my valves I jack up the rear end

and with the car in 4th you can turn the wheel

and turn the motor. Have the spark plugs out

of course. If the radiator is out you could do it

with a breaker bar and socket on the crank nut as well. Don't remember the socket size though.

Guest Anonymous

press on fan BELT with left hand to apply tension, while leaning over passenger side fender - then, with RIGHT hand - rotate the engine fan (whilst scraping your knuckles slightly on the radiator if you're not careful!) , until she's where you want her.... you SHOULD have the car out of gear - and removing the spark plugs makes it WAYYY easier, too.

This is how I USED to do it....until I removed the engine fan. If you have no fan - a 30mm socket should do the trick on the crank pulley nut.

Hope this helps!

Paul

MAximill...

Guest Anonymous

Nothing looks damaged. The piston sleeves look mint and everything is in place. So now I'm heading down to the local machine shop with my head to have this plug hole fixed. Then hopefully when I get the head gaskets later this week, everything will bolt back together. After that for the first time ever I'll actually have all the parts needed to get the car running. From then it's just a matter of getting the engine back together, wired up and timed. Thanks for all the help so far guys, more to come...

Guest Anonymous

The only 30mm socket I own is the fancy schmantzy transmission deep with thin wall - doohickey...and there's NO WAY (as I discovered last week!) it'll fit with the radiator in place. I put the car in gear and rocked it to adjust valves...but I forgot about how handy it was to HAVE a red engine fan!

I assume he's got the radiator out for the front cover / water pump work anyway...but a shorter socket should fit just perfectly - even WITH the radiator in place.

HTH!

Paul

MAximill...

Guest Anonymous

I had the spark plugs in AND the car in gear with the rear wheels on the ground, wondering why the hell I couldnt turn the motor over. haha.

I pulled the plugs out, put it in netural, and it turned right over just by putting a rag on the main pully and turning with my hands.

The good news is when I got the head off, piston one was at it's top and both of the valves were closed, so dispite my best efforts I actually think I did it right.

Guest Anonymous

If you end up doing the Valve guides/seals and need some other fresh parts, I have about 2,000 miles on a set of stock, new valve springs and rocker arms I'd let go cheap, for the right project