Added: E30 M3 starter FAQ on my website

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

TN_P4190009.JPG

URL: http://home.woh.rr.com/fairacres/Karl/Karl.html

I finally got a replacement starter for my 02 and decided to do the swap on Saturday. Since there has been some discussion about using other starters (E3/big 6, M3, etc.) I thought I'd post my notes on the swap I did. I heard about the E30 M3 starter (smaller & lighter) and thought it would be a neat and simple mod. It also helped that I found a used one for $25...

Karl

'73 2002tii ... starts like a 'modern' car now

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.car-part.com

Oooooo, should I give away my secrets? ;) I found it at a salvage yard in Maryland. I did a search on car-part.com and found a number of places that had them. This place had it listed for $25, but the first time I called the guy who answered picked up on what I assume was a wrong price and said it was $75. (BTW, this seems to be the going price for used M3 starter motors.) I made a few calls to other places then called them back about a week later. Bingo! A different person and this guy sticks with the $25 price. Add $7 shipping and its heading to Ohio... He said it had been sitting on the shelf for a while, last one they had, I think. Shoot me an email and I'll get you the details off the invoice if you want to give them a call.

I even drove the tii to work today. First time that's happened in over a year. Now I'm searching for some brand new $5 tires...

Karl

Guest Anonymous

I think all 02 starters (excluding 6v) are the same or at least interchangeable, so an M3 starter should work on any of them. (You may want to check the MT cd or call one of the parts houses to confirm this.) As I remember, doing a starter swap on a regular 02 is much easier. If you make notes when you do the swap, send them to me and I'll add them to my FAQ. I'd be happy to give you credit for the info.

Karl