I know this as been asked 10,000 times, but I need a

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

driveshaft shortened for a 5 speed conversion. Short of paying $400 to Driveline Services, is there a Bay Area shop that can do the work?

Thanks!

John N

Guest Anonymous

A friend of mine just got a driveshaft lengthened for $80... why do I keep hearing of it costing $300-400 for a 2002? Is it because the U-joint is rebuilt too?

It seems like lengthening a driveshaft would be no worse than shortening one. I'll be shortening mine RSN.

Guest Anonymous

who refuse to touch the thing, fearing (probably from experience) that you'll put it on, it'll fail, then you'll want them to fix it- something they can't do!

So Driveline Services takes a pre-emptive strike and replaces the u- joints anyway.

Anyone with a lathe can technically do the job- and if it then fails, you can sent it to Driveline services, and they'll re- joint it for you for $35 less...

It stinks, but there it is. The complete 320, with brand- spankin' new brakes, clutch, decent engine and tranny cost half what the driveshaft did!

Anybody got a wrecked 325 for me?

t

Guest Anonymous

The high cost is usually due to modifying the shaft to install replacable u-joints. It requires machining of all 4 yokes.

Many times, the cost also includes 2 u-joints, guibo, and center bearing. That's around $80 - $100 alone. Your friend didn't have these parts replaced by the driveline shop.