AC, worth keeping?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

This 74tii i just bought has a Behr AC console, and almost all the AC equipment (no compressor) but none of it is hooked up or working. My dad thinks I'll be "shooting myself in the foot" if i take it out because it will make the car less attractive to a potential buyer down the road (I've owned the car 3 days now and he's already selling it in his head).

Is this true? Is AC a big selling point for 2002s? I dont need it on _my_ car, but will the next guy want it? How much is a working system worth? how much are parts worth?

Thanks,

Matt Barnard

'74 tii, almost running

Guest Anonymous

AC certainly is attractive in a daily street car, but most 2002 are not daily cars. Compressor and labor/parts will still be considerable.

You could remove the stuff, save it for a while in the remote case you need to sell the car.

All that said, I have working AC and wouldn't remove it. However, If I bought a car that needed extensive AC work, I'd try to do without for a while.

Guest Anonymous

There's a fellow here in Sacramento who's had his tii Touring with a/c for many, MANY years - some time ago he did an upgrade to a rotary compressor and pusher fan. His a/c blows cold, even when the car's idling - IF your system is intact and doesn't need other extensive repairs, you might consider adding a rotary compressor and electric radiator fan and get working a/c in the car.

I'm in the process of building a daily driver that doesn't have a/c, and will be adding it (guess I'm getting old - every year I get less and less willing to sweat through a Sacramento summer's heat without a/c).

Guest Anonymous

the original York. If you're going to the trouble of resurrecting your A/C, I'd also seriously consider switching over to R-134 vs Freon.

I've seen 02 A/C described as "a hamster blowing over a snowcone" but it's a little better than that. On the highway it works pretty good; around town it's marginal but better than nothing. If you're gonna use it, I'd definitely consider a 3 row core radiator; otherwise the A/C is gonna marginalize your cooling system.

Cheers

Mike