• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with Carb! Fuel Inj possibilities???(LONG)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I helping a friend with his newly acquired 75 02. It

has a Weber 32/36 which we rebuilt with the

Redline kit. The carb was thoroughly flushed to

remove anything from the idle circuit. Still will not

idle when warm. Cannot set the baseline. Acts as

if it is lean. I noticed the post below regarding the

anti-diesel solenoid. This car has one with no

wires running to it. The pollution control system

was removed by a PO. Is this solenoid critical to

warm idle? We have put fresh wires on, fresh

vacuum lines. Points and cap are fine. New fuel

filter. Plugs are good. Any ideas?

Another thought....I am familar with Kjet injection as

I have an 81 323. What about converting the 02 to

kjet from a 320? Any opinions? The manifold

swap should be straight forward. There are a

bunch of 320 donors readily availble.

Thanks in advance,

Bruce H

81 323 Baur

85 745 at 1 bar boost

Guest Anonymous

It is possible you have the cold idle throttle advance cranked too far in, so that you have way too little throttle at 'normal' idle. Try backing out the cold throttle screw and screwing in the warm.

You don't mention non-idle conditions, does that mean the car runs OK, but just won't idle?

Finally, I've never been a fan of K-Jet fuel systems. I think they are by nature, quite evil. Pulling a used one from a 320 and trying to make it work on your friends '02 will take all your spare time for the rest of time. Stick with the carb, or go EFI

Regards,

John N

Guest Anonymous

ryan_phelps.jpg

As far as I know the run-on solinoid shuts off fuel flow upon loss of 12v. So yes it could cause your idle problem if it isn't hooked up....I think most people just hook it up to the electric choke if so equiped or the coil..

Ryan

68 02 (38/38 w/water choke & no run-on solinoid!!)

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the response. The car runs fine under

load. It will not hold a warm idle. The mixture and

idle speed screws have been set, reset and set

again per the Weber guides.

Guest Anonymous

This is a water choke and has the solenoid. Runs

great when choked but as soon as they open it will

not hold the idle at screw seeting

Guest Anonymous

if the power (to the solenoid)is not shut off with the ignition then the car will diesel- that is why they installed the solenoid in the first place.

Guest Anonymous

Did you take out all of the jets to clean them? How about a vacuume leak? Keep looking you'll find something.

Guest Anonymous

The car was just acquired and it held a ragged idle

but would die at stop signs. Repalced all vacuum

and blew all passages oout during rebuild with

carb cleaner.....repeatedly.

Thanks, Bruce

Guest Anonymous

the carb throat when it dies (open the butterfly), if there is a puddle of gas at the bottom of the intake manifold, you're pulling raw gas in and killing the engine.

The cold idle speed is set by adjusting a screw that is driven by the mechanism that closes the choke butterfly.

If you have gas in the bottom of the manifold, you either have a float level too high or you've torqued the carb body when bolting it down. You should only have slight pressure on the nuts that hold it to the manifold.

Regards,

John N