• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust Proofing Interior Paint

zdealey

Hey folks,

My project is coming along and I'd like to strip the 40 year old sound proofing mess out of my interior and throw a heavy coat of rust proof paint down. I've noticed folks have been using black or aircraft-looking grey paint in the interior. Does anyone have a suggestion on the brand to use? Thanks!

POR15.

As I restored my 2002, we used POR 15 everywhere we could...including inside the doors, under the Dynamat on the floor of the interior cabin, and on the bottom of the car and wheel wells before we installed the Gator Gard truck bed liner paint.

Samplemaven

BMWCCA #420368

'72 2002 Tii Inka restoration project

'07 550i Titanium Silver, steptronic...ED 2006

A fair question to be sure. The interior is pretty nasty under the carpet (which has been torn up and chucked) and I thought a little preventive maintenance might be worth it. Ultimately, I'll through some dynamat and new carpet down soon.

I just went through a quart of Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator and I like it a lot. Easy to apply and has a nice shiny finish to it (not that you will see it). All you have to do is get rid of the loose rust and any oil/grease. I have used POR15 in the past and liked it okay.

'76 02 (Pastellblau - my 1st car - owned since 1992)
'04 330i zhp (Monaco Blue)

'07 328i 6spd (Titanium Silver)

'11 X3 (Alpine White)

well then check into Raamat instead of dynamat. When I priced things Raamat (or maybe its Ramaudio) is quite a bit cheaper. He has a great website and wonderfull to work with.

Bill

1973 2002 Chamonix sunroof (soon to be M42 swap)
2015 Ford Explorer-Wife
1999 Jeep Cherokee

1991 318i convertible (donor)

red anti-rust paint. Did the frame on my Nissan pickup truck after welding up the rust and the paint was still intact after six Ohio winters with no topcoat. This is the stuff they use on ships and bridges in salt water...

Main drawback--only available in gallons. But it isn't terribly expensive ($25/gal last time I bought some) and very effective.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thank you for the feedback. That's a bargain compared to the other products ($50 a quart!). Yup, I'm looking forward to putting the angle grinder to use and slop'n the rust coating around. Considering the only thing that I plan on relieving me of my02 is death, I might as well (re)build her to last :-)

Z