subframe modification idea.. thoughts?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

100_0075.jpg

So my brother and I were talking about the 323i trailing arms I have lying around..about fitting the 15x7 et12 wheels I have...oh yeah, and we were talking about girls too..but thats another post.

And he had a revelation..which I can't believe I didn't think of before. Why not move the trailing arm mounting brackets on the subframe crossmember IN? I am running a e21 LSD..and am using 1/4inch spacers, or about 6.5mm. So if I move the brackets IN 6.5mm...I can lose the spacers..and the 323i arms will fit that much better. Or wheels will fit that much better as well *assuming* that the inner fenderwell has room. I think it does..I'm gonna go check it out today.

Has anyone ever done this? I haven't heard of it before. I think it would be the perfect way to get the 323i arms to fit. Plus I no longer need the spacers for the LSD. I would never weld it myself..this I would get done by a professional. Whack em off, reweld away I go. The only con I can think of is tire clearance on the inside of the fenderwell..anything else?

thoughts?

Matt

ps yes, the tabs are backwards in this pic :)

Guest Anonymous

for those of you who will think about this, you'll realize the same think I did, that its not as simple as sliding the brackets 'down' the crossmember 6mm...they would actually have to be moved horizontally over..as if they get slide down, the geometry would be totally fubar'd....as the wheelbase would be effectively lengthed slightly.. But thats not a big deal either..

Matt

Guest Anonymous

as those arms have both better (bigger and fine- splined) shafts and more strength. Ireland agrees- if you're up to the work, and want coil- overs, they're a good way to go. I've got a set tucked under the bench- when I get those VW rotors on the hubs and some calipers in place, I'm thinking I might modify a subframe too.

I've never had clearance problems in back, tho- I'm running 15x7's with a e26 offset

t

Guest Anonymous

Wait, if you're running spacers, that means that

the hub is not sticking out into the wheel well far enough.

Therefore, you'd want to move the arms OUT, not IN, exacerbating the driveshaft problem.

BUT:

the 320 arms push the hubs a bit farther into the well anyway, AND move the hub in a bit too (they have a longer stubshaft, I think- measure for yourself to be sure!) so you may be able to bolt 'n go! Really!

I'll measure it all next time I'm at the shop...

t

Guest Anonymous

what are you trying to achieve by doing this mod? maybe keep wide wheels under the stock fenders or what.? i have 15x7 et 10 under my car with room to spare and coilovers on modded 02 arms, i have pics if you are interested...

Guest Anonymous

plus, if you're going to coilovers, the mounting point is already there...

of course, I think you have to move it, but, oh well, if there was a real point to all this, we'd just drive Ford Foci anyhow.

Maybe Colin McRae's old car, for me...

t