where does vac for advance on dist come from with a lynx/45d

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

you want manifold vacuum for your vacuum advance. IIRC, there is only one port on the Lynx manifold, intended for the brake booster. What you could do is put a T in that tap, and add a nipple for the distributor.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Guest Anonymous

so does that sensor go in the exact same position as the other one? the reason I was asking is because the new 320 neck has not only 3 different sensor plugs, but all of them look different then the one on the 02. I had no idea I could switch them.

Guest Anonymous

it doesn't really matter what position you use, but might as well use the same location. BTW, you can plug the other holes with oil pan plugs... readily available for a couple of bucks at your local auto parts store. The threads are 1.5, IIRC.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Guest Anonymous

The single vacume port off the lynx manifold is the one on the top right from looking at the motor from the drivers side? What fitting do I need that will thread into there, and where can I get it?

Also, it looks as if the airfilter I get from 2002faq for the carb looks like the ones they have pictured online, then it's going to hit my brake booster. As it is, the carb intakes hardly clear it. Will this be a problem?

Guest Anonymous

1. go to the hardware store and get a 3/8" male pipe fitting with T; put a 1/4" nipple on the brake booster side and whatever fits the vacuum hose for the dizzy on the other side (I dunno); use teflon tape on all of the insertions.

2. If you are talking about the RamFlo 400 airfilter, it will fit just fine (it is close, but it fits AOK).

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Guest Anonymous

You do not need to connect the vac port as if you T the line from the brake booster you will be getting manifold vacuume and not carb vacuume. Manifold vacuume is pretty constant as it is drawn by when the cylinders go down and create vacuume. Carb vacuume is produced by the butterflies opening and the chokes causing air flow faster than the surroundings. All carb vacuume is produced BEFORE the carb's butterfly plates so that is where you would need to get it from. On that setup I would just leave it alone and not connect the vacuume as the Tii dizzy gives the same total advance as a vacuume advance dizzy without the vac port connected. So those extra few degrees of advance are not really critical. If you want to advance the timing faster, then you may want to consider the Tii unit, otherwise just leave your setup the way it is and just not connect the vac port as you will not notice the difference.

Guest Anonymous

I was dead wrong in what I said last night about the source for vacuum on the Lynx/single DCOE setup. Too many cervezas. It is painfully obvious in the cold light of day that manifold vacuum is not what you would want to control your vacuum dizzy. Moreover, a T on the brake booster would not be good place to locate the hose, because the big draw from the brake booster would likely cause fluctuations in the vacuum to the dizzy. The vacuum connection for a dizzy should indeed be just north of the throttle plate. The bad news is that there is no port on the DCOE for such a connection.

The solution? Unless you have a high compression (e.g., 9:1 or more) motor, you want a faster, deeper advance curve. Contrary to the posting above, the tii distributor provides neither of these, compared to the standard vacuum/centrifugal 02 dizzy. The tii distributor advances less, and reaches full advance at a higher RPM. The best alternative for a non-high compression motor is to use the non-tii distributor (even without the benefit of the vacuum advance).

The ultimate solution would be to have your centfifugal advance mechanism recurved for your motor (Jack Fahuna?).

Again, my apologies for the bad info.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga