• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Full of surprises. A 72 tii from the northeast

stymee

• 1 month later...

Wow, has it really been 2 months? Life sure gets in the way sometimes...

First off, I want to say (somewhat belatedly) that it was great to meet the folks from The '02 group! You couldn't find a nicer group of people. And the '02's were awesome! Talk about inspiration ;)

So, these first few pics were actually from way back in March. I started some exploratory surgery on the driver's rear inner rocker area.

IMG_3422.JPG

A closeup of the tumor after removal shows some more repairs that actually looked decent enough, but were not well protected.

IMG_3424.JPG

I peeled back the lower quarter panel and once again found a rocker in pretty good shape. Strange!

IMG_3425.JPG

And not so strange to find one of the smoking guns! Here is the sunroof drain all clogged with crap!

IMG_3428.JPG

I continued to poke around near the rear subframe mount. I definitely have my work "cut" out for me! More to come soon.

1972 Verona tii - "Betty"

2002tiiRear.jpg

Fast forward to the last couple weeks. In preparation of welding the front column panel in, I put the door back on to make sure nothing is too out of kilter.

IMG_3453.JPG

Looks pretty good to me.

IMG_3455.JPG

A little prep, 2 coats of POR15, some weld through primer and it's on to my favorite part!

IMG_3456.JPG

Sorry, no closeups of the welds, but it turned out pretty good. I used a piece of 1/2" hose as my drain extension.

IMG_3459.JPG

I was a dummy and cut the drain hose when I removed the old column piece. I haven't decided how long to leave it, I'll make that decision when I test fit the fender.

IMG_3460.JPG

And finally this past weekend, I fabbed up the piece that connects the inner fender to the column. I didn't have much of the old piece to work with so I took most of my measurements from the passenger side. I prep'd and coated with POR15 and weld through primer the areas that would be covered by the piece. I think it turned out pretty good.

IMG_3464.JPG

I'm getting all my ugly practice welding out of the way in the areas that are going to be invisible! Hopefully by the time I get to the rear wheel arch, I will be making super smooth, distortion free welds! Wishful thinking?

IMG_3465.JPG

Next step is welding the fender bracket back on. The whole inner fender area is going to get a nice coat of POR15 before I button everything back up.

Thanks for watching!

2002tiiRear.jpg

• 1 month later...

Fast becoming my favorite thread. Hats off to you sir, great welding and shaping of metal. I'd hire you to do my car ;-)

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD

Well, the only piece of sheet metal I've used up until now that was pre-formed is the floorpan. I have a Lincoln Handy-Mig with CO2/Argon and .025" wire. The rest was beat into submission with the following:

IMG_0650.JPG

The absolute best thing ever is that electric rotary tool (left in the picture). My air compressor (30 gallon lowes model) is not up to constant cutting/grinding. I borrowed this old Black and Decker rotary tool from my neighbor and it is the bomb. It will run all day long with a 3" cutting disc or grinding wheel, plenty of power to rip through 16 gage sheet metal and grind down my ugly welds ;)

I would really love a metal brake, bead roller, a nice anvil and an 80 gallon 2 stage air compressor. Maybe some day?

Haven't had much time on the project the last few weeks. It's time to get my lazy ass back out in the garage. Thanks for the motivation!

2002tiiRear.jpg

Sweet, I have most of that already, just need a good vise is all. I also might buy/make a lead shot bag...think I saw something in a hotrod mag or something where they used that to pound out the rough shape, then maybe refine on your shaping tools...

Good work though, helps to see that you can just pick up and do it!

-Bryan

73' 2002 "red"

66' 2 Door Cortina GT

http://mk1cortinasearch.blogspot.com/

• 1 month later...

Well timed bump, Ryan!

I've actually gotten a decent amount of work done the past couple weeks (after another rather long hiatus).

The doors got a little attention. I removed most of the internals. I want to clean up all of the window/door mechanisms and rust proof everywhere I could reach. It looked like the plastic liner had been re-glued back in at least 4 times by the layers of goop.

Before:

IMG_3664.JPG

After:

IMG_3670.JPG

Interestingly, my passenger's door had a heavy beam reinforcing it, and a kind of skirt in the bottom. The driver's door had none of this and was at least 5-7 pounds lighter. Did later doors have more reinforcement?

Also, a question for you door re-build guru's out there, how do you remove the entire vent window assembly (including the main window track)? The vent window mechanism doesn't seem to be separable from the main assembly, yet it is captured by that hole in the door. I know removing it makes getting everything lined up more of a headache, but I really want to get the window track cleaned up and it is hard to reach where it is. I also want to rust proof up along the upper edge on the outside.

2002tiiRear.jpg

Next on the agenda was to attack that driver's rear inner rocker area. Here is a picture of what I was dealing with:

IMG_3422.JPG

I had to do quite a bit of cutting/grinding/cleaning to get everything prep'd for POR15 and welding. Despite the looks in this photo, there wasn't much rust in that main rocker once the outer panel was removed. Here is a shot of the new panel welded in. Again, here are some raw welds, no grinding to cover up my lack of welding skills!

IMG_3673.JPG

Then it was on to the driver's rear floor pan. I decided to try to form these myself from 20 gage sheet. I only had enough time to get it kinda roughed in. It is SOOOOO much easier than forming 16 gage. A little more work and it should fit great and is a helluva lot cheaper than $150 for a replacement pan from W&N or Wolfe.

IMG_3682.JPG

Hopefully the next hiatus won't last 2 months, but with vacation, and travelling for work it is going to be tough to find too much time in the near future.

Thanks again to the FAQ and all the FAQers for this forum, without it, there is no way I would have tackled this project.

2002tiiRear.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had some time the last couple weeks to really dig into those rear floors.

After a little bit of work, I ended up with this:

IMG_3782.JPG

I wish! After beating on that sheet for a few hours, I broke down and ordered the rear floor pans from Walloth & Nesch. Again, great service from the Germans, I had the pans in 4 days. The inner rocker on the passenger side was in fine shape, so not near the surgery that was required on the driver side. I spent a lot of time trying to get the holes cut accurately, but still ended up with some largish gaps. Good thing my welding skills are improving!

These little clamps rock, I wish I had them sooner:

IMG_3799.JPG

IMG_3800.JPG

Here is what I cut out:

IMG_3785.JPG

Here they are all welded in:

IMG_3807.JPG

IMG_3809.JPG

I think I'm going to go ahead and remove the so-so repaired passenger front floor. I'd like to replace the A column as well, peace of mind and all. Stay tuned!

2002tiiRear.jpg