Rotor torques and, stuff - questions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Going to replace my warped rotors and install rebuilt single piston calps on my 67 1600 - specifically, should I use a thread locker on the socket allen screws that hold on the rotors? Or anti-sieze? I have replaced these things years ago and don't remember.

I suspect I will find out whether I used one or, the other when I try to loosen these mothers.

Torque values anybody? My Haynes is missing that page.

TIA

Guest Anonymous

Haynes sez 70 lb/ft for caliper securing bolts and 48 lb/ft for the disk to hub bolt. The second figure seems like a lot for the little screws that hold the disk to the hub itself. For sure you would want to use anti-seize on these... they can go anywhere with the wheel in place, and rusting in is the usual situation.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Guest Anonymous

they seem to imply that the 'center' bolt goes to 48 ft. lbs. Which would shear the little locator (on a 1600? I thought it was a 320-era innovation?) or absolutely destroy your bearings in front.

And let the hub come loose in the rear, as it should go to 300 or so ft/lbs....

bah.

But I use anti- sieze on the little screw (it rusts stuck) and on the studs, too, and have never had a problem...

t

Guest Anonymous

sat evening before dinner took about a half hour per side.

I guess the last time I did this I used anti-seize.

I am sure glad I'm the one who does work on this car...

Also, I used 265ft lbs on the caliper bleed nipples - NOW, THAT IS NICE AND TIGHT!