74 tii electric sunroof repair

dafoto

Has anyone repaired or replaced a factory electric sunroof. The previous owner of this car didn't clean out the rear drain tubes and water backed up into the metal cassett, rusted it and destroyed the headliner. Can it be replaced/repaired? Are parts available? The sunroof actually works fine..cables ok, motor ok etc. I have not found any threads, diagrams or pictures of this assembly. It does not have a cardboard cover between the rail ribs as shown in most pictures. It is an enclosed sheet metal box..

Thanks

dennis@dafoto.com

Check with Blunt for parts availability...

I think (but am not sure) that contemporary Bavarias and CS coupes used the same setup, and they're (relatively) more common in the US than electric sunroof 2002s.

If it's just the housing itself, could you fabricate one from sheet metal? I'm not that familiar with 2002 electric sunroofs, because very few US spec cars came with electric sunroofs. Thus finding used parts may be difficult, but it's worth posting on the Parts Wanted board.

If worst comes to worst, you can always convert to a manual setup.

mike

There were two different style electric sunroofs installed in '02s> The factory one and an aftermarket Webasto. Parts are rather hard to find for either. Sean Casey of Casey MotorSports in Petaluma CA has worked on both and tracked down some parts in the past. I'd give him a call at 707-519-2002 to see if he can help you.

HTH

Thanks,

I will call him. Howver I took it apart today. It is a metal cassett and it appears that I can drill out the spot welds holding the bottom piece(similar to the cardboard in a standard sunroof) and replace it with a piece of galvanized or thin aluminum and be back in business. The motor works, the cables are good except one is sligetly rusted (can be cleaned) and the gear which turns rotates in the cables is also good. When finished I will do a dyi with pictures. Thanks for all your help...

dennis