• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW Mobile Tradition to begin production of NEW bodyshells!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Don't know if they're still available or not, but brand new bare metal MGB shells were available for some time not that long ago - not cheap, but probably less expensive than piecing a B back together that had suffered severe tin worm attacks.

Guest Anonymous

about a company that bought all the tooling, and they were going to build a limited production (1500), etc,etc. He actually got a few $500 deposits from people interested in reserving one. He continued posting updates, until the "company" went bankrupt due to a fire in their building. It was quite elaborate story, it must have been the ultimate april fool's joke...

Guest Anonymous

for a z3 or something. It had a BMW part number

for the main bodyshell. Imagine, calling up the

dealer for that part.

Guest Anonymous

BMH (British Motor Heritage - what became of the Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust and the BMC/Leyland Archives after Leyland collapsed in the early eighties) also reproduces mid-to-late Spridget and Mini shells, and, I believe, TR6es...

They cost somewhere in the neighborhood of two grand and up, I think - at least they did last time I checked. Used to be a restoration tech at a shop/Moss Motors Distributorship that had a customer or two who almost went this route (we talked 'em out of it - their cars were actually pretty healthy bodywise).

Neat idea, but personally, I'd only go this route if my shell/monocoque was absolutely, positively, beyond all reasonable cost of saving. One of the biggest problems with higher-initial production restorations these days (MGs, Triumphs, Healeys, anything Moss sells parts for, some older German stuff, as well...) is that people tend to be tempted to do "parts shelf" restorations; perfectly fixable parts get junked for new ones simply because the new ones are available and clean and require no work to throw back on the car.

To boot, most of the equipment Moss or the other aftermarket companies (and even some of Porsche and BMW's OEM reproduced parts) isn't a patch on the OE quality of the original stuff.

Which means you end up with these low-skill bolt-it-together restorations that all have the same off-the-shelf parts, none of which are original to the car or last as long (Nine times out of ten, on a restoration, it's the NEW parts that fail, not the rebuilt ones or the reconditioned older equipment). Entire show fields of cars at British iron shows, all with the same dash switches and gauges, all of them off the same parts shelf in California or New Jersey (Moss), all of them produced in Korea, and all of them not only horribly incorrect but just plain poor quality.

I mean, I'm all for keeping the cars on the road, but I'm also all for - if you're truly spending the money and restoring the car & not turning it into your version/what makes you happy (nothing wrong with that) - accurate period work and preserving as much of the original car as is possible.

Off the soapbox. :)

Sam

O==00==O