14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

what size is the space under the rear seat? sub box size?

edzillion

I tried it. didn't work.

I bought a low profile sub for mounting in narrow situations. It was only 3 or 4 inches deep and a 10" sub. I did measurements thinking it would work... and It didn't fit correctly. Luckily i was able to re-sell it.

check out the search posted above. I did find something that slips under the front seats that work pretty good.

-josh

Long ago in a galaxy far far away...

I put a ten inch sub under my rear seat. Mounted it to some good quality plywood, carpeted it, dynamat on the bodywork side, cut and fit 6x9's into the face of the backseat panel. You can't see it in the pic but the amps are mounted under the seat on the driver side. Worked great, wonderful sound with 5" speakers on the parcel tray, 6x9's at the floor, 10" sub, and 1" tweeters on the dash...God I miss that sound system just thinking about it.

The biggest trick wasn't making it fit, the trick was using 3M spray adhesive and covering the entire underside of the back seat to keep the horsehair from falling out and getting all over the speakers and amps. I think I used three cans to do the job. (That back seat is now in Steve K's car, probably 2lbs heavier than stock, sorry Steve!)

Anything can be done...good luck.

-shad

post-14599-13667638432471_thumb.jpg

post-14599-13667638433477_thumb.jpg

So - given all that speaker gear, I'm assuming you had a pretty good head unit in there too. Which brings me to the problem that's bothering me about this... what did you do for a security system? I'm afraid the stock locks aren't too secure, and even further than that, i'm more scared that someone would bash a window to get in to steal it. I don't want to put anything fancy in, really - just don't have any more cassette tapes to play. I suppose I could go with one of those removable faceplate units, but I really hate the obligation of taking my stereo with me wherever I go....

More for convenience than security since my lock tumblers were worn out, I had a keyless entry system installed by my local stereo shop. (no alarm though, hate those things.) It worked great, but before they would install the poppers I had to take the latch mechanisms out and clean/lubricate thoroughly so they would function smoothly. They said the poppers would have a hard time pushing the 40 years of grime and sludge. No big set back. I went keyless mainly for shits and giggles since I rarely locked my car, I figured a stolen stereo was cheaper to replace than glass and chrome work for a 2002. To that end my head unit, and the rest of the stereo was composed of 'decent' components. Mid range Kenwood stuff. I didn't want to be out a bank roll if it was ever stolen. Thankfully the area where I live is pretty quiet and I've never had a problem with break ins. If I was parking on big city streets daily I would have taken a more 'invisible' route with mounting everything (head unit in glove box, carpet over speakers on parcel tray, etc) and slept with one eye open with a shotgun by my side.

O=00=O

-shad

I put a ten inch sub under my rear seat...5" speakers on the parcel tray, 6x9's at the floor, 10" sub, and 1" tweeters on the dash

The biggest trick wasn't making it fit, the trick was using 3M spray adhesive and covering the entire underside of the back seat to keep the horsehair from falling out and getting all over the speakers and amps. I think I used three cans to do the job.

That's pretty cool, no problems with the amp overheating in that small enclosed space? I'm not looking to put a sub under my rear seat since I have the E24 rear seat in there, but it would be nice to move my amp from under the passenger seat.

Maybe for a future project, how was the sound? Seems like the woofer would have a hard time moving air around in a small space like that.

I'm sure the sub wasn't performing at peak efficiency levels to the purists, but it definitely added some bass punch to sound (Neil Peart's solos were vastly improved), the biggest gains to the system came from the dash mounted tweeters that really made the highs crisp and clean. As for overheating, never had a problem even on long drives from SF to Seattle with the stereo cranking, though the amp was 125w range, I'm sure bigger amps would have had some trouble with heating and fitting in there.

I usually drove with a window down and revs up so high fidelity wasn't my biggest concern, I just wanted to hear and feel the music and it did that above and beyond the call.

-s

I suppose I could go with one of those removable faceplate units, but I really hate the obligation of taking my stereo with me wherever I go....

Most people I know just take the faceplate off and throw it in the glovebox or center console, heck even under the front seat. Its not the fact that its gone, it's just a deterrent to keep people from thinking it's worth breaking a window. Heck, a radio without a faceplate is still worth something on craigslist if its new enough, but without the faceplate it could be some 80s radioshack special not worth stealing.

I put a ten inch sub under my rear seat. Mounted it to some good quality plywood, carpeted it, dynamat on the bodywork side, cut and fit 6x9's into the face of the backseat panel. You can't see it in the pic but the amps are mounted under the seat on the driver side. Worked great, wonderful sound with 5" speakers on the parcel tray, 6x9's at the floor, 10" sub, and 1" tweeters on the dash...God I miss that sound system just thinking about it.

The biggest trick wasn't making it fit, the trick was using 3M spray adhesive and covering the entire underside of the back seat to keep the horsehair from falling out and getting all over the speakers and amps. I think I used three cans to do the job. (That back seat is now in Steve K's car, probably 2lbs heavier than stock, sorry Steve!)

Anything can be done...good luck.

-shad

Wow. never seen the sub under the seat like that. I assume the back seat goes over it? Must be an 'interesting' ride for the ladies ;)

So you have 6x9s in the panel under the rear seat? I gather 6x9s have a more midrange frequency response, which is wasted that low down on the car. I would prefer to just have bass down there. I was thinking of putting in 2 x SPL Dynamics SD 6.1's (with or without a box behind them, this part confuses me)

Why not go with a strong small sub and add a passive radiator to get more surface area? Seal it up good and tight and BAM!

http://cgi.ebay.com/JL-AUDIO-6W3-6-W3-SUB-4-OHM-CAR-SUBWOOFER-6W3V3-4-NEW-/110642167004?pt=Car_Subwoofers_Enclosures&hash=item19c2c97cdc#ht_4321wt_1141

Definitive Technologies Super Cube home theater subs have really nice passive radiators in them..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Definitive-Technology-10-Passive-Radiator-4ADC-/200492579777?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item2eae49fbc1#ht_546wt_907

Why not go with a strong small sub and add a passive radiator to get more surface area? Seal it up good and tight and BAM!

http://cgi.ebay.com/JL-AUDIO-6W3-6-W3-SUB-4-OHM-CAR-SUBWOOFER-6W3V3-4-NEW-/110642167004?pt=Car_Subwoofers_Enclosures&hash=item19c2c97cdc#ht_4321wt_1141

Definitive Technologies Super Cube home theater subs have really nice passive readiators in them..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Definitive-Technology-10-Passive-Radiator-4ADC-/200492579777?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item2eae49fbc1#ht_546wt_907

ok, did a bit of reading into passive radiators. Basically what you are suggesting is that I mount the JL speaker inside a box with the 10" passive radiator mounted on the outside of the box. the 6" drives the 10" because the box is sealed?

Anyway, the problem with that is I still don't have space for the 10" on the panel below the rear seats. That 6" sub looks ideal though. perhaps I could put it in a sealed box (?)

I would put them both on the board under the seat...

Do you mean under the back seat like Shad's pic above? I am only learning about passive radiators but my understanding was that the powered driver is inside the box driving the air against the passive one.

Can you explain this set up to me? I'm new to this and I am having a hard time following.

• 3 years later...