2002Ti, restoring it to its former glory

Cyclone101

For those who havent seen my posts lately, i have been looking for an original ti for about 2 years now. Being in South Africa doesn't help much. But i found one, it is in a bad shape and needs extensive restoration, but a ti can not be left to rust.

So I went to have a look at the car, and then the owner told me i could have it for free. So got a car trailer and picked up the car.

The only thing missing from the car is the original engine, it is residing in the PO's other 2002. The engine i have has all the 2002ti goodies on it anyway, so I will ask him if i can trade it back if i recn this one.

The chassis is quite rusted, esp the drivers side footwell, and the frame rail that runs under it. The other frame rail is suprisingly free of rust.

The PO bought the car as a parts car, and ended up only taking the engine, but the car stood outside for 4 years, and as such is not in a good condition.

The car has a 1mm layer of putty in it and is flaking off everywhere, but so far it doesnt seem to have accident damage under it anywhere, but I will only be able to tell once the chassis is cleaned propperly.

This project is going to take me a long time as I am a Mechanical Engineering student and have to find time to work on this car between class and tests.

The next pictures were taken today with my phone as my camera is hiding from me.

Feel free to ask, chat , give me advice or do whatever you like on this post/project.

Regards

Jacques

post-18977-13667638278082_thumb.jpg

post-18977-13667638280302_thumb.jpg

post-18977-13667638282128_thumb.jpg

post-18977-13667638283993_thumb.jpg

post-18977-13667638286125_thumb.jpg

if i could offer any advice, it would be to keep this car dry and protected and do your homework (school and autobody repair) first. don't rush in. if there is any chance that you could source a disposable parts car, do it. i spent this past summer literally drilling the spot welds off 2 1/2 parts cars i had, for body panels. that exercise taught me more about how these cars are put together than anything. i am in the process of replacing the DS floor rail and front floor panel of one of my cars. it took me two years of pondering and fretting but now it's just one step at a time and very satisfying work, once i actually started.

you are in a tough position as you are currently an engineering student. THAT should take priority.... but i'm guessing you are methodical and analytical at heart and a good candidate to take this car on when the time comes.

I put pics of my colorado orange car in your other post. My car had also suffered at the hands of others and the elements. I didn't have any structural rust issues to deal with but the best thing I did was to have the car media blasted and spot sand blasted by a very experienced person. It is the only way to make sure you have a good clean car to start your restoration with. I think compared to the time involved in trying to strip or clean up a car any other way it's a bargain!

Your absolutely right. Im not going to sacrifice my studies for this.

But i told my friend if they want to see me, they can bring beer to my place and ill give them a wrench. They actually seemed keen, as they have never worked on cars before, so I will teach them, and they wil help me.

Sounds like a fair deal to me.

So instead of going out with the friends, i will have labourers working for me :D

Regards

Jacques

Thanx john, I think thats good advice and could save alot of time. I am googling people that can do this near me as im writing this.

And again, your car looks BEAUTIFUL! Well done. If my end result could look that smooth ill be on a different planet!

Oh, and by the way, the Ti does not have a name yet, so plz chime in on an appropriate(and why tou think it is) name for it.

Regards

Jacques

This has been a buisy week for me, so little progress so far.

But i did buy 2 Solex C4 ADDHE sidedraughts for the car.

I went with the addhe's as the phh's have known throttle shaft problems.

I didnt want to go with webers or del'orto's so original.

The carbs are in a good condition, but cleaning is needed. I cant complain as i got them for about $40

Regards

Jacques

post-18977-13667638443741_thumb.jpg

post-18977-13667638445994_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I havent posted in quite a while, as I have been writing mid-terms the whole time. But like any good student, I took breaks to go work on the car to get my mind off the studies...

Anyway, I decided not to blast the car, as a friend, who I think does the best restoration work in SA, convinced me not to. So its manual labour and paint stripper for me!(btw, that guy has also restored a f40, f50, LP640, 355f1, and more than a 100 cassics, so i trust him more than my mother)

I bought a couple of products to test and see which works the best for me, I also got Industrial grade paint stripper that takes paint off like butter but I found that its VERY corrosive as well as labour intensive to remove again, so thats out the window.

I also stripped the interior and windows, and found I need more space.

Im going to have to store some of the parts(or my other 02) somewhere for a while. I also stripped the pedal box(the cause of most rust on the car) and its bad but nothing that cutting and welding can't fix.

Here's a couple of pictures for you guys

Regards

Jacques

post-468-13667639188159_thumb.jpg

post-468-13667639189158_thumb.jpg

post-468-13667639191498_thumb.jpg

post-468-13667639193561_thumb.jpg

post-468-13667639195997_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanx Nick, I think I might need it!

I don't think the PO knew the value of a ti, or he didn't want the hassle of a LHD car in a RHD country. Whatever his reasons might be, Im glad he didn't want it! He actualy started the restoration on the car and his sandblasting guy messed up the bonnet and doors badly, thats why he bought another non ti, and took my cars carbs.

Thanks to my frieds, the car is almost completely stripped from paint outside, only interior and boot is left, but because theres no filler there, it should go quick. Then its on to the rotissorie Im building and stripping the underside.

Then Im going to prime the car and start the bodywork. I have a friend with a shop tig welder that can weld very well(esp. thin sheet metal), so he will be helping me with that.

I have a lot of pictures of the car as it is now but and will post them tomorrow.

Regards

Jacques