14th Annual SoCal Vintage BMW Meet 2021! “All couped up”

Registration is still open. Rally from NorCal is scheduled for Friday. Post your event photos.

SoCal Vintage is Here! 

Post your photos!

How can I tell if my 76 is a California car?

tashakes

Guest Anonymous

The '76 has three mag valve circuits on the firewall of the engine bay, a third fan belt for the smog air pump, and a 'thermal reactor' exhaust manifold with air injection jets for 'afterburning' unburned hydrocarbons. In addition to the rest of the smog stuff like the charcoal canister, the EGR system and the PCV crankcase vent into the stock aircleaner.

I can only assume the Exhaust Emission Sticker is no longer on the top of the drivers fender in the engine compartment, because if it is, it will say "49 States Version" if it's not a California car. I've got one in my carport. I'm not sure what the ones that were for Calif. say, but apparently something to the effect that it's a Calif. emission car.

All the stuff mentioned in the post above used to be on my wife's "49 States Version" so I'm not sure what was different on the Cali cars.

Bob Napier

there is a " Conforms to California Emission Standards" sticker

if it is -

"49-States" is not a Calif. car

and of course (Calif.) with every control system:

EGR, Additional Air Injection, Distributor vacuum advance & retard-

a lot of extra hoses, pipes, devices, brackets, noises, vibrations, heat,

poor gas mileage, poor 'performance' - just a mess!

CALIF mess =

02Calif1976emissionsystem.jpg

Guest Anonymous

I've never seen a 49 - states car for comparison but I remember on Dagsites the year and designated build is shown in the emission diagrams. Visit them and look for emission diagrams and I'm sure you'll find that there are differences. For one thing, I think the air injection manifold is different on the 49 states from the CA .... but never having seen one, its just a guess. Oh, and poster CD mentioned the dual action advance, retard distributor .... I think that is CA only.

This sticker is on the left fender, it does not show the same stuff as the picture above, and the car does not have most of the components, for sure there is no pump, although the smog stuff could have been removed. Yet, it just passed smog when I got it from the yard, they did it, so they could have a "contact"......

post-857-13667638524676_thumb.jpg