gona pull my head, what will I need?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm getting ready to pull my head in order to repare my damaged spark plug hole.

I'm using a spark plug repair kit on this page, 2nd item from bottem.

http://www.autospecialtytools.com/cgi-bin/dyn.exe?doc=sparkplug.dht&

I have the needed tourqe wrench. I'm gona order a new head gasket and some of that sealant stuff the bmw CD manual says to use. I wont need new head bolts, correct? Is there anything else I'm going to need? Keep in mind I'm simply pulling the head off to clear the metal shavings out, then putting it back on. If anything is damaged in the motor I'm gona have to wait and fix it later when I have more money...

Guest Anonymous

Might as well get some scotchbrite and throughly clean off the gasket surface with brakeclean. That and do the exhaust studs again (remove, clean, tap, replace with new studs with red loctite) to avoid future leaks.

If you get ambitious you can replace all the other gaskets and such..I went nuts and ported my manifold when I had my head off.

Bare minimum. Clean off head/block well, check both with machinist ruler for warpage, replace head gasket, front timing chain cover gasket, and valve cover gasket. Don't forget the small amount of RTV where the head gasket meets the head/front cover. There are two small holes in the head gasket for this reason. Otherwise it will seep oil there.

-Bernard