Replacing Fuel Lines

bracohen

Ok, I have searched a few different times and not found much in the way of a "how to" on replacing rubber fuel lines. Maybe it's just that newb of a question, but I need to know how to safely replace my old lines and what to replace them with (and how many feet to order). I need to replace ALL of them. Also I need to get rid of the return line, it has no use and is just sitting disconnected. Please, have mercy and use layman's terms. I'm not stupid, just inexperienced.

its pretty basic. same principle as replacing a radiator hose. remove the clamp, pull off the rubber hose, sum times it makes a seal and is hard to remove. if u can fit a pair of pliers in there snuggly grab the rubber and rotate it to break it loose. remember to put hose clamps on the new hose before u hook it up.

as far as how much in length to order just eye-ball it. local hardware store will most likely carry what u want. they sell by the foot so get a few ft.

for clarity, I read in another thread about the plastic fuel line that runs from the tank through the passenger compartment, and is self sealing in a fire. I don't need to do this job, but it should be worth noting that this is a good idea, and if you're replacing that line getting the right self sealing plastic line would be critical. Is there a source for that, other than OEM?

its pretty basic. same principle as replacing a radiator hose. remove the clamp, pull off the rubber hose, sum times it makes a seal and is hard to remove. if u can fit a pair of pliers in there snuggly grab the rubber and rotate it to break it loose. remember to put hose clamps on the new hose before u hook it up.

as far as how much in length to order just eye-ball it. local hardware store will most likely carry what u want. they sell by the foot so get a few ft.

+1

easy. use 8mm or commonly available 5/16in line. any parts store has it.

for clarity, I read in another thread about the plastic fuel line that runs from the tank through the passenger compartment, and is self sealing in a fire. I don't need to do this job, but it should be worth noting that this is a good idea, and if you're replacing that line getting the right self sealing plastic line would be critical. Is there a source for that, other than OEM?

Got mine from Blunt. If yours springs a leak, the result could range from a interrupted trip to a '02 flambe. Unless it's been replaced,yours is at least 35 years old.

Got mine from Blunt. If yours springs a leak, the result could range from a interrupted trip to a '02 flambe. Unless it's been replaced,yours is at least 35 years old.

exactly. Just wanted to make sure a newbie, myself included, didn't throw any old rubber line in there to replace the plastic. Nobody needs an 02 BBQ.

that runs through your passenger compartment. The plastic line is self sealing (I found out the hard way during some rocker panel welding--I wasn't doing it!) and is sturdy stuff.

Some people use the metal return line that runs under the car as their fuel line--main drawback is that it will eventually rust (if it already hasn't) and break, either stranding you or starting a fire when it pees all over your hot exhaust on the highway.

Gasoline is scary stuff...be overly cautious with it!

cheers

mike

that runs through your passenger compartment. The plastic line is self sealing (I found out the hard way during some rocker panel welding--I wasn't doing it!) and is sturdy stuff.

Some people use the metal return line that runs under the car as their fuel line--main drawback is that it will eventually rust (if it already hasn't) and break, either stranding you or starting a fire when it pees all over your hot exhaust on the highway.

Gasoline is scary stuff...be overly cautious with it!

cheers

mike

Yes, that is why I am asking you guys! Not something I want to be able to say "ask me how I know" about.

And I would also like to know what needs to be removed to access all the lines same as the guy above me ^^^