Original 2002 Turbo in Australia

oz_tom

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

use in Australia - everything I've heard and read has indicated that left-hand drive vehicles aren't allowed, but with the Turbo having NSW plates perhaps it IS doable.

My wife's mom is originally from the Toowoomba / Brisbane area of Queensland (all her aunts and their families are still there) - we're due to visit late this year and she's been wondering about the possibility of emigrating. If it were ever to happen, I'd be curious as to whether we could take the '02 and/or the '66 Nova with us (and whether they'd need to be converted to right hand drive if so)......

I met the new owner at a local BMW cruise, but he didnt have the car yet so couldnt see it! :(

Not sure if its another one in the country or one of those 4 - i think it came from NSW to SA.

Yeh, after re-reading it I think you're right. Looks like it moved from NSW.

My thoughts were there were 2 in NSW and 1 in QLD, now 1 NSW, 1 QLD and 1 SA.

use in Australia - everything I've heard and read has indicated that left-hand drive vehicles aren't allowed, but with the Turbo having NSW plates perhaps it IS doable.

My wife's mom is originally from the Toowoomba / Brisbane area of Queensland (all her aunts and their families are still there) - we're due to visit late this year and she's been wondering about the possibility of emigrating. If it were ever to happen, I'd be curious as to whether we could take the '02 and/or the '66 Nova with us (and whether they'd need to be converted to right hand drive if so)......

If the car is over 30 years old it can be registered as a LHD in Queensland.

Hi all - I am the owner of this Turbo in Adelaide. Purchased from a guy in NSW who has another one which he has just restored (incidentally it is for sale now!)

LHD - in all states as long as the vehicle is more than 30 years old, it can be registered for road use.

My Turbo still has some work to be done. Interior is almost perfect except has non-standard electric windows!

No structural rust but surface rust in the usual 2002 spots.

This is actually one of 3 2002s I own along with some other old BMs.

Have been following this forum for a while but never joined.

Regards.

Alvin

The little red reflectors on the rear are reminiscent of the Turbos that went to Japan.

This vehicle was indeed ex-Japan - then has been in NSW for a few years before I purchased it recently and had it trucked down to Adelaide, SA.

As for the bolt-on flares - AFAIK, these were stock original on the Turbo. Over the years, I have been accumulating a lot of 2002 parts including LSDs, gearboxes, body kits etc. I have some FRP repro flares which give a similar look to what is on my Turbo.

Yep, but...

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2009/07/classic-find-bmw-2002-turbo-with-only.html

Cheers,

Ray

The little red reflectors on the rear are reminiscent of the Turbos that went to Japan.

This vehicle was indeed ex-Japan - then has been in NSW for a few years before I purchased it recently and had it trucked down to Adelaide, SA.

As for the bolt-on flares - AFAIK, these were stock original on the Turbo. Over the years, I have been accumulating a lot of 2002 parts including LSDs, gearboxes, body kits etc. I have some FRP repro flares which give a similar look to what is on my Turbo.

Ray,

There were undoubtedly a batch of Turbos destined for Japan that had moulded flares. I thought/read(?) that it was to meet Japanese requirements.

However, there were Turbos in Japan that had the regular flares.

Maybe the difference is original delivery v private import?

The little red reflectors were common additions on Jap Turbos, also additional tag lights.

Yep, but...

Cheers,

Ray

Yep, but...

Cheers,

Ray

Not sure about which is "correct" but most of the ones I have seen or read about have the bolt on look.

http://www.bmw2002.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=71:for-sale-bmw-2002-turbo-excellent-example&catid=2:cars-for-sale&Itemid=13

Ok, finally found the thread about "moulded " flares on Turbos.

Scroll down a bit and you'll find the answer I received from "only_topless" who was Ebaying a Turbo at the time.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,300614/highlight,turbo+japan/

Appears is wasn't a Japanese thing, but an Owner preference.

Thanks Les. By the way, Paris is still working at the pub in Kerry Centre hotel.

;-)

Cheers,

Ray

Ok, finally found the thread about "moulded " flares on Turbos.

Scroll down a bit and you'll find the answer I received from "only_topless" who was Ebaying a Turbo at the time.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,300614/highlight,turbo+japan/

Appears is wasn't a Japanese thing, but an Owner preference.